What defines a good rooster?

I’ve had two Buff Orpingtons. So far they both have been everything I could ask for in a Rooster.
Right now I have one adult Orphington, he's a Lavender. I can't get over how perfect he is with my flock. I could stand there and watch him all day, he's very observant and cautious.
I live on a large farm surrounded with trees. One time I saw him take off running as fast as he could with his head low and wings spread out toward the trees, I thought he was going to attack something. He comes back herding a hen who strayed off by herself, once she was back near the coop he left her alone and went back to digging up worms. It was interesting to watch!

My roosters don't seem unhappy. I just started a rooster bantam flock and they're all scratching and roosting in their new house. In fact, they seem happier now than when they were with the hens!

But if the rooster is kept ALONE, he might become depressed. I suggest he has company of some sort.

Are yours close to the hens, like they can see and hear them and they are still ok?

Because if necessary I might have the option of keeping a 2-3 roosters in a cock-flock with a family member who has no hens.. and just borrow them from time to time for breeding. Not ideal as it is imposing on someone else, but if it's best..

Last edited:
Random question.. do Roosters suffer if they are kept separate from hens?
I want to breed some birds but only when I choose.. I do not want fertile eggs in between, as much as possible.
Will they be okay if they are close, but barred off?
Just be aware that after breeding the hen can store the rooster's sperm for a MONTH, to 5 weeks. No joke.

Always a PITA when I want to change up the flock and make different breeding groups.

But the standard is to wait 6 weeks if you want to be 100% sure the eggs you gather are fathered by the new rooster.

I breed serama and Cochin and dabble in silkies.

Serama temperament should be brave, proud, confident, friendly, never aggressive to humans (some fighting with other males is tolerated as long as not excess), tolerant of other chickens, sociable, and kind to the hen. A serama cock should be able to be housed with a single hen without hurting or over mating her. They are the ultimate pet, charming and pleasant, with their proud stance that draws eyes everywhere they go. He knows he us special and demands treatment suiting his status.

Cochin cock should always permit the humans in his pen and to handle the hens. He should never ever show aggression and should be proud and alert. He is willing to spar with other roosters. He takes good care of the hens and feeds them treats. He is responsive and intelligent and has a strong way about him. He tolerates handling well.

Silkie cock should be like the Cochin cock.

A kcal chicken rescue is looking for people to set up rooster flocks because so many are unwanted. I'm not that brave yet, maybe down the road. They either get adopted or live out their life wherever they are.

Backing up a rooster and showing him your the dominant one will make the rooster respect you. A good rooster does keep his distance when entering their run. A rooster who is all over your heels will think he's in charge and thats when aggression can start.

Just be aware that after breeding the hen can store the rooster's sperm for a MONTH, to 5 weeks. No joke.

Always a PITA when I want to change up the flock and make different breeding groups.

But the standard is to wait 6 weeks if you want to be 100% sure the eggs you gather are fathered by the new rooster.

I did read that on another thread!
I think I'm going to order a couple of assorted chicks (hopefully all hens) for my first batch.. make sure I don't hate taking care of them.. then hopefully eventually get one/two Roosters (if the collars work well enough) and start dabbling in very small breeding tests.. so I'll definitely not be switching Roosters that close together!

As far as getting along,they may or may not.Lots of time in the spring they will spar,but have not have issues with them trying to kill each other than to young boys I had who grew together all of a sudden decided they’d be better off without one another and made an effort to kill each other unfortunately,so that’s that.Have also kept son and father and father adventually killed his son,but that’s two different roosters than what I have now.

What I like is a friendly rooster,or atelast will come eat out my hand,even if he doesn’t I still like one that is protective and keeps a watchful eye,and stops fights,and find treats for the girls.Chasing and being very rough during mating is quite natural and doesn’t bother me,only bothers me when they become too rough to the point they start making the hens limp or shred skin.
Have raised many roosters and have had two kill encounters out of all.

A rooster who is let be in charge can not be kept pet friendly,all my roosters are friendly and have never had aggressive issues with them.

Back
Top Bottom