What did this!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tx_dane_mom, May 20, 2008.

1. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I was just watching my birds in their pens & noticed my girl looking like this! I don't when it happened...but between yesterday & today as I didn't let them free range today.
    What on earth did it...any ideas? I killed a opossum 2 nights ago...it almost looks like a K-9, but unless she was sticking her head out that's unlikely, plus I doubt she'd still have her head. The right side in particular is swollen, and it looks like her ears are bloody... I can't belive she's not paralyzed!
    [​IMG]
    I just realized her head looks wet like it happened recently...maybe it was a dog???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    i love snakes,but, could it be a poisonous snake?

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Have you witnessed the others pecking at her that could have been a pecking injury. I wouldnt put her back in bloody or they will peck more.

4. icthus

icthus Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    pellet or BB?

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I would rinse the wound with a Saline solution, then spray on BlueKote/WoundKote.

Poor baby.

6. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I kinda thought snake maybe too....
    I just posted on of the dogs out right by the coops to let me know if anything comes after them tonight. We do have a big problem w/snakes here as we're right on a canal that was just disturbed.
    Oh, she's in a cat crate w/bedding, food & water in the kitchen. She won't go out until she's all better. This is probably my most promising Blue Rock so it's really disturbing. I put Purple Wound Dressing on here that's really for horses, but it has all the essential ingredients to knock out infection, since I don't have iodine.
    Kristi
    P.S. They are only 3 mnths old so no one is really pecking anyone/aggressive

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

If I remember correctly, Trisha had a chicken attempted to be eaten by a snake...but if it was, the bird would be most likely deceased.

I might put $$ on Brer Possum and his friends.

8. tx_dane_mom

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Do mothballs really keep away snakes? Wondering what I can do to get rid/help what I am worried about...

9. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I don't think it was a snake. Snake teeth are real thin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by