What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. jbtcajun

jbtcajun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    I found 3 two hundred foot rows of purple hull peas destroyed by a doe and her 2 fawns.
    The tracks tell the story.
    There is a electric fence that has been working since we lost our fall crop to them.
    Guess I will have to figure a way to put some wire at 6,8, and 10 feet.
    Was thinking about running ground wires at 7, and 9 feet.
    If I get 6 2x6x12 rip them and run that high vis electric horse fence will it keep them from jumping?
    I expect to have the wire broken a few times but they probably won't do it twice.
    This is going to be pretty pricey and I wanted to see if anyone here has experience with this.
    Besides this bad luck we harvested
    1 jubilee water Mellon
    2 spaghetti squash
    1 acorn squash
    4 bell peppers
    handful of jalapeno, and cayenne peppers.
    Enough cucumbers the wife put up 6/qt bread and butter today.
    We had about 5 lbs of okra today.
    Sad story America Today.
    Happened last summer.
    We were having a deer problem.
    Happened to be at the gas station when a game warden drove up.
    I asked if we could get a permit to harvest deer out of season to save our crop.
    His first question was are you a commercial truck farm.
    If not you can not get a permit.
    I said my garden was my main source of food.
    This doesn't matter was his response.
    I then asked if it were a person stealing my crop night after night could I legally shoot him.
    The warden answered sure in this state you have the right to protect your property..
    I said let me get this straight a corporation has rights I don't ;and can kill at any time a deer they don't intend to eat.
    A animal I can legally shoot and eat in two months can destroy my food supply when the government deems it has a free pass.(the electric fence can be considered harassment)
    I person stealing the same food from me can legally be killed at any time.
    America has lost its way and I wonder if we will ever be able to fix it.

2. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Wow. all i can say is WOW! How big is your garden? Deer also dislike the idea of getting their feet tangled in anything. So, you might try running some deer netting horizontally around your garden... perhaps suspended about a foot off the ground. It might be easier, and less costly than trying to put up such a high elec fence. Or you might run an extra 3 strands about 6' away from the original fencing... if you have the room. You might also want to spread some urine, or ammonia around the garden. One poster soaks tennis balls in ammonia and puts them in trees around her property. If they keep predators at bay, they just may work for deer. I've also heard of using bottled urine from a predator of deer. Also heard of hanging bars of stinky soap... think deodorant soap, or little old lady make your eyes water floral scented soaps. Got a dog? Liberal applications of dog poo around the garden might help. Human hair is also supposed to be a deterrent. Visit the beauty salon or barber. Are you in an area where you can safely shoot? Some folks practice the SSS method, but you didn't hear it from me.

4. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    I picked some beans enough for 3 pints and 2 quarts plus a little extra i am going to Blanche and freeze..and extra i do this even in sandwich bags then repackage into food saver bags later for the proper portions..my beets are about good roasting size going to pull them up in the next couple days....weeds took over my carrots and a couple other places i have empty going to re-till and plant some more beans about 75 to 100 more feet...I have 3 chest freezers the smallest is 15 cubic feet, and a big basement,5 kids and a husband who will have a 3 month layoff this year instead of 2 to 4 weeks..

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I have sugar snaps ready to pick, the yellow squash is blooming, and the lettuce is finally ready to pick. My garden got a super late start this year.

6. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Picked more tomatoes and butternut squash today. Its the only squash that we can salvage from the squash bugs. Getting ready for the cool weather to descend. We went from 96 to 72 in about thirty minutes this evening. Nice. Supposed to be in the 50's tonight.

7. HerbGir1972

HerbGir1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2014
    South Carolina
    My Coop
    Preparing to put in a late crop of Old Tyme Crowder Peas in dimpled brown & black

[​IMG]

and picking more tomatoes :)

8. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Picked cucumbers . Picked oversized squash and gave to chickens . Picked first bell pepper . I have a tomato about ripe . Yeah let the tomato season begin .[​IMG]

9. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Pulled more weeds and found more cucumbers to pick . Growing tanja cucumbers this year . Looks like a new favorite . Nice slicers .

10. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Glad everyone's doing well got some little green tomatoes started "finally" looks like summer squash is coming on cabbage is starting to head up. Zinnia's Cosmo's are stunning this year blasted beetles found two my rose bushes. Went looking for some seeds locally to replace washed out spots not a packet to be found. Just going to plant some dried brown beans and dump wasted scratch feed onto spots. Nothing else it'll give some soil N to soil.

Funny note the Kid was acting like an a-- about mowing the lawn slamming the mower into everything, knocked over my bucket of fermenting tea. Mower is now being treated with tender loving care lawn ornaments are no longer living in fear-)

LAZYGARDENER: urine works good at keeping critters away-) Also give you reason for cocktail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by