What did you do in the garden today?

It's a beautiful day outside but deceptively hot. Temp says 86 degrees but feels like 92. Humidity is at 60% so you start sweating as soon as you step outside.

Been trying to get a few things done regardless. Seeded some broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce today. I also gave my potted blueberries some sulphur.

Moved the swallowtail caterpillars from the dead Dill plant to some parsley. I'm willing to share it at this point.

I really want to transplant my plum and apple tree saplings but I'm worried because the rain has been so sporadic. I've already lost my Weeping Willow and 2 pecans. I'm still sore about that...

yes on the Tilapia pond, ultimately Ill be raising them for food, sell the fry too for some 'self sustainment money'. what they make me goes into their food upkeep gardening stuff bla bla, PLUS, eating too of course.
My son & daughter-in-law have been talking about doing a Tilapia pond for their own food. (They live south of Jax) Perhaps you can start a separate thread on this topic alone. I bet there'd be plenty interested. 😊 Let us know if you do, so we can find it!

That's one of the reasons I want the tilapia pond too is food. You get a good healthy pond going on and you can easily snatch a few of them a week for food and keep it very healthy still. Having my OWN pond I know exactly what they are eating, so no wonders what kind of Chineesium they have been fed that makes them glow like that :)

Let me get this one kind of going first before I start a thread, otherwise it's just going to be a bunch of bitching about the things NOT working right, the pump leaking, the electric outlet needing a new plug, the hose not tightening :D :D, you know.. the typical DIY things that happen with any / every project...

Aaron

Walked the garden this morning and took out some hornworms, smaller ones.
I'll have about 30 pounds of reds to pick Friday.
I currently have about 20 pounds of red in the kitchen waiting for processing and another 25 orange one waiting in the line up.
I have a couple of squash ripening in the hoophouse and a few of the clones tomatoes are producing.

It's hot hot hot and humid here, and insanely dry. I'm so sick of it.

My son & daughter-in-law have been talking about doing a Tilapia pond for their own food. (They live south of Jax) Perhaps you can start a separate thread on this topic alone. I bet there'd be plenty interested. 😊 Let us know if you do, so we can find it!
Agreed.....cuz every single time I see
tilapia pond
I have no idea why I see the word and think tequila pond! I have a little bit excitement at thinking there's a tequila pond....then remind myself
NOT
tequila
It's whatever pond thingy
they are talking bout.
😔
All I've done in the garden today is dream bout all those green maters turning RED!

Here are my beds, waiting... waiting... until the temps drop enough to plant seeds.

We're still over 100F and it's forecast to be 106 F next weekend (not this wknd). :(

Attachments

• 20220907_elevated beds lr.jpg
    20220907_elevated beds lr.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 0
I think the hardest part of having a fall garden is trying to get things going while it's still hot and humid! I started my cabbage, collards and broccoli inside under lights. They've been outside a while now partially shaded getting a bit more sun each day. Today I got 22 of them in the ground! Whew! Now if we could get some regular showers I will be thankful. We had a small shower yesterday. Not much but I'll take it. Now to clean up another spot in the garden, add compost then plant the rest of my babies in the ground. Forecast this week is mid to upper 80's, nights around 70. So maybe we've turned a corner but who knows I've seen it 88-90 in Oct. I'm hoping not this year!

I finally sealed a deal for my house sale!
Congrats!!! I know you're excited!

I have no idea why I see the word and think tequila pond!
Are there maybe lemon trees growing on the bank of that pond?
🤔

Here are my beds, waiting... waiting... until the temps drop enough to plant seeds.
I feel your pain.

Teqilla, Tilapia. drink enough off one and you'll be kissing the other !!

From what I hear you can get a fish to a pound or two, ie decent eating size in about a year, so an IBC tote that can hold say 100 of them when you take care of it properly, ideally a few of these and you can have a fish a day forever.... Looking into feeding them, and you can use the 'pond food / catfish food' that you buy at the same place you get your 'chicken food'... Chickens you can free range and ideally maybe not even have to give them store bought pellets, egg production might suffer slightly but .. maybe not. fish you can't necessarily free range in a pool but.. maybe you can? throw some bug laps up to zap a bunch of beetles moths etc and drop them in there to feed your fish. I already do this for my chickens., I have a buglamp with a Current limiting resistor I put in to 'stun' the bugs instead of cooking them, they drop down and the girls get them, or I use a regular lamp with the bottom cut out and a holding container that the beetles drop into and then every morning take that to the girls to feed. One solar panel, one battery EASILY keeps this lamp running 24/7 so it's a round the clock clucker feeder. why not a fish feeder too?? Doing a bit of research but I think this is feasable.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom