What did you do in the garden today?

when I got robbed I understood I needed 2 dogs that will not harm my chickens so that I don't need to tie them like my german shepherds. a friend of mine brought me 2 puppies, sisters. they are mixes of different sheep dogs.
I got him mostly because of his puppy breath. I didn't want another dog after my husband's Chihuahua got ran over. We have a pitbull but she can't be around my chickens because she was neglected and abused by the people that we bought her from.

I got him mostly because of his puppy breath. I didn't want another dog after my husband's Chihuahua got ran over. We have a pitbull but she can't be around my chickens because she was neglected and abused by the people that we bought her from.

what breed is he? btw, he is a little handsome guy. I hope your chickens will be safe with him.

I wish you could send me some. I already had planted 3 mulberry trees but it take years here to grow.

when should I put some fertilizer around my trees? I have pear and peach trees as well. all of them are small, planted last year.
I wish I could too, I'm sure there's a bunch of laws about imports.

I just put compost from the chickens bedding around them to keep weeds down. About 6 inches from the trunk to the drip line.

Raining here. Most of our old snow has been washed away. I’m hoping to be able to let the chickens out of their run for a little bit this afternoon. I can rescue my folding table from the chicken yard today. Apparently we are supposed to get a fresh lot of snow on Sunday evening, 6 to 9 inches. More nitrogen for the garden. The only thing I put on my peach tree @chickengr is the ashes from my pellet stove. I tried fertilizer stakes one year and I did not get any blossoms that year. The ashes work well and are free.

Eventually, I moved to using plastic net pots with slits in them.
Love this idea looks easier the soil blocking, I'm going to try the soil blocks this season, but putting this into my shopping cart incase I need to pot up.
My tomato's I'm thinking of red solo cups.
Thank you, of late I've been Youtubing like crazy, do like the ideal of pallets, I did watch a video on Root & Refuge husband's channel he drove a short fence post on the side in the middle to avoid the bulge.
This week I'm still waiting for the rest of my seeds to arrive so I can plan how many and size of raised beds. I'm going to use the Hügelkultur method as I've collected a few down logs I've found driving around. I also have collected about 20 bags of leaves also driving into town and back.
Our town will deliver ruff compost by the dump truck load for $70

My tomato's I'm thinking of red solo cups.
I use quart yougurt/cottage cheese containers. I drill a few holes in the bottom. This is a great size for them. Others use the same containers, but invert them…they cut off the bottom and now the lid part is the bottom (with holes). This way, the widest part is now the bottom, and remove the “lid” and plant easily slides out. In my world , the lids would be lost to the same dimension that dryer socks live, never to be found again, so I just stack my containers, wash and reuse the next year.

Thanks for the offers of help to send egg cartons, and for the various suggestions.

We placed an order with egg cartons dot com. They had the foam ones we wanted. Foam bc they can be reused a little more, and can be washed out or wiped out. The paper ones are fine, but they get a bit “soggy” (in a dry kind of way) from the humidity, and cannot be rinsed out, so we went with the foam. Plus all the foam ones we’ve had have been reused a whole lot before they become too damaged. Of course, paper ones can be recycled in a different way, and we may purchase paper “jumbo” ones bc paper seems the only way to get “jumbo” cartons. The site offers free shipping and a good price.

Not sure what craziness was going on with Meyer shipping when I tried to order cartons from there. I’m going to assume it was because I had to put 75 individual items into my cart, rather than a bundle of 25 or 50, etc. I called their CS, they tried to help but they needed to speak with the store on site to check a few things about the cartons. Took my name and number, but never called me back.

Back to gardening…. I think my first seed order may arrive today!!!

From an organizational standpoint, my last 5 years of gardening here are in one notebook. I’ll begin a new notebook for this year. I’m using a grid/graph composition book and always write in pencil. The grid is great bc it helps for the writing/drawing that goes on, and pencil doesn’t run. I’ve gone through the last 4 years (we completely reworked the entire area after trucking in 102 tons of dirt to level garden area in late 2019), and now have a history of what’s been in each bed since 2020. Next up, compiling a list of all varieties of various veg varieties we’ve grown. Which we liked, which we didn’t. We’ve tried a large number of beets, carrots, tomatoes, peas, turnips, rutabaga, and of course, my nemesis: cucumbers.

Back
Top Bottom