What did you do in the garden today?

Spinach in my experience the bolting is triggered by day length. In my area it bolts the end of May no matter when it is planted. We do not have enough heat early to reliably get a crop. For me it does better as a fall crop. The shortening of day length prevents bolting.
Me too! I have to plant those in fall and they are bolting by March!!

Salt never did anything for me either, the weeds/grass/whatever just laughed and kept growing.
Darn nutsedge has the double whammy...spreading bulbs under the ground...
20240527_111249.jpg

And the darn seeds spread by the wind
20240527_111254.jpg

We got a little over 1/2 inch of rain last night. Noisy thunderstorms rolled in before bedtime. Drizzling this morning off and on. I weeded the tomato beds and black beans. Then went up the hill to put in a little work on the summer squash bed. The green beans are coming up now. I will be putting straw up there to try to keep it from drying out so quickly. Weeds are growing wicked crazy up there. I need to drag the weed whacker up there. The grapevines are growing really well I trimmed some of the weeds away from them but it definitely needs heavy duty weed barrier around them.

Sugar snap peas, tomato beds, black beans, the chives I planted last year on the hill, then two of my grapevines.

IMG_6784.jpeg
IMG_6786.jpeg
IMG_6785.jpeg
IMG_6787.jpeg
IMG_6790.jpeg
IMG_6792.jpeg
IMG_6791.jpeg

Alright here's them pictures. :) I have some supports I need to build yet for some of these tomatoes. I'm basically out of room back here for any more plant nonsense lol.View attachment 3837415View attachment 3837416excuse me. I'm taking photos. Worship my feet later, ladies. View attachment 3837417View attachment 3837418View attachment 3837419View attachment 3837420View attachment 3837421View attachment 3837422View attachment 3837423
You've inspired me to put my herbs in the pots that are sitting empty:eek::clap( I never knew what to do with them specifically) in my rose garden. You're pots and cages are great. I have soaker hoses and most things are in ground.

I'm doing the same for chard. First planting: 2/15. Soaked the seed the second time and 2/14. I bought a different packet and have 20 seeds soaking right now.

Last year I started 4, lost 3 to frost, and got 1 luffa. This year, I have higher hopes.
I grew it in Florida and Alabama. It goes insane there. It likes the warm days and nights, and the LONG season. Getting it to grow and produce much north of Arkansas is a challenge, but you can get one or two or three.

Back
Top Bottom