What did you do in the garden today?

Pc I was also happy to see the rain yesterday.

Last night I opened up the paper napkin I had put some of the nicked Hibiscus seeds in and 8 out of 10 had sprouted. Edited to add I put these on top of my dryer as I was doing laundry and thought it might help the seeds sprout faster. lol it worked.
wink.png

While the ones I put in seed starting mix still have not.

I just put them in some peat mix.

Last edited:
So in last years F2s there wasn't much clustering, usually only one or two tomatoes every flower cluster so when I saved seeds I saved them from the plants that produced the best clusters, usually three tomatoes, and look at how pretty these clusters on one of my F3s is!! (First two pics are the same cluster.)

Pc I was also happy to see the rain yesterday. Last night I opened up the paper napkin I had put some of the nicked Hibiscus seeds in and 8 out of 10 had sprouted. Edited to add I put these on top of my dryer as I was doing laundry and thought it might help the seeds sprout faster. lol it worked. ;) While the ones I put in seed starting mix still have not. I just put them in some peat mix.
80% ain't bad. I will have to nick mine from now on. But fight now I still have hibiscus in pots looking for a home.

Last edited:
I need to plant my tomatoes out this week . Kind of hesitant . It could still frost .
idunno.gif
Anyway I will have to chance it as I will be gone for 2 weeks . No one to water if I leave them in the little greenhouse .

Well, I haven't done all of this today but here goes.
Transplanted 4 pepper plants to bigger pots, put out 4 different kinds of tomatoes (3 heirloom, 1 hybrid sweet million cherry), planted yellow squash, zucchini, butternut squash, winter squash, spaghetti squash, pruned some leaves on my Yukon gold potatoes, planted purple basil and Mexican tarragon, been harvesting many types of lettuce and my asparagus(purple variety), planted some purple bush beans, put out a bunch of flowers in my front beds, spread blk mulch in the flower beds, and turned the compost pile.
Whew! That's what I have done in the last 2 weeks. Plus I have been taking care or my 50+ chickens, mostly chicks from my calico cochin project.
What can I say I like to stay busy and eat good food.
David

Good idea, but he'd have gotten more bang for his buck, more growing space and better heat retention by simply covering one of his garden beds with the fabric. Elliot Coleman has some nice ideas for 4 season gardening in some of his books. But what ever means any one chooses to use, I'm a huge fan of pushing the gardening season from both ends. I ate the last winter salad from my green house in Mid December. On 4/22, hubby and I had our first spring spinach salad from the green house. Most of my friends and neighbors don't even plant their gardens here until Memorial Day, because they have their heads stuck in the old school method of pulverizing their soil with a rototiller before planting. Then, they continue to pulverize that soil frequently throughout the growing season.

Back
Top Bottom