What did you do in the garden today?

Can herbs be planted year round or are they only for spring? Like oregano, basil, cilantro, etc.

I don’t even know what I will be planting this year. I have my pear and apple seeds but those are more year round of caring for these plants not to harvest and enjoy within a few month.

It's been awhile and mostly I grow hydroponically but Basil I plant in the summer it won't take a freeze but will grow like a weed all summer. If you plant it be prepared to make lots of pesto or something because your going to have lots of it to deal with. Oregano will take some cold not a hard freeze but will produce well into summer. Cilantro plant early as soon as the threat of freeze is over and maybe plan on buying some early season tomatoes to make salsa because as soon as we start getting hot the cilantro will be done. Early fall or early spring is a good time for snow peas, fall into winter for collards, mustards, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, kale, cauliflower

The other thing I do about this time of year is plant some seed potatoes in either 7 or 15 gal used nursery pots. If you look around in the big box stores you can usually find some bags of pine bark mulch that they've had awhile and they are decomposing pretty good. Place a little of that in the bottom of the pot and plant the potatoes 3-4" deep when the greenery gets 3-4" above the mulch cover that. Continue to that until the pot is full. After the pots are full and when the greenery starts to turn brown check to see if the potatoes are ready if they are just dump the whole pot out onto a piece of plywood or even a tarp and pick out the potatoes then add the mulch to the compost pile. People use other things such as tires or build potato boxes to do the same thing and some use dirt or potting soil but I've found the pine bark to work just as well.

Good morning gardeners. I pulled a few weeds and was bitten by ants for my trouble...going to do something about that next weekend. I decided to make the sun garden 16'×16' to keep from blocking water flow in heavy rain. Will price materials this weekend and finalize design. Have a great week everyone.

Morning . Got to 58 yesterday . Beautiful day . Spent the day outside working on the privacy fence and milling a log into 2 x 4 lumber . Need more boards also but the weather coming will halt outdoor work . Old body was aching but weather will force me to rest . Rain coming later today then winter storm advisory for Tuesday and Wednesday .

Good morning gardeners. I'm enjoying some warmer temps as well. Got up to 50F yesterday briefly. It's supposed to be up to mid 50's today. Warm again tomorrow with rain moving in the evening and overnight. I got my fruit trees pruned yesterday. The apple trees were in pretty decent shape so there was little to cut. I can't get quite the recommended "spread" on the dwarf peach, but I did the best I could. I don't think a spacer would be a good idea right now because one branch is thinner and likely weaker than the one that needs to move. I'll be working on that gradually. The ice cap in the backyard is slowly melting, but still icy. I'm hoping more progress is made today. I was able to let the chickens roam around for about an hour again yesterday. They're actually snatching up the little grass shoots poking through the ice. Not much else going on. My soil test kit and starter soil should be delivered tomorrow. Have a great day everyone.

Peach tree before and after
before.JPG After.JPG

OK I'll fess up. Sometime last Monday I winged my back out of whack. I have NO idea what I did or when. It didn't hurt until Monday night. It's a nerve or a disk or something. Feels better up moving around or sleeping, sitting bolt upright is yikes - like in the truck. Or picking up something heavy at chest level. Good glory in the morning.

It is slowing me down a little. Ya that's me being slowed down.

So I'm going to get this week's bread made, finish the laundry, get some classwork done, and then sit here and knit. (Already fed the critters) Then make the beds and such. Slowly. LOL.

OK I'll fess up. Sometime last Monday I winged my back out of whack. I have NO idea what I did or when. It didn't hurt until Monday night. It's a nerve or a disk or something. Feels better up moving around or sleeping, sitting bolt upright is yikes - like in the truck. Or picking up something heavy at chest level. Good glory in the morning.

It is slowing me down a little. Ya that's me being slowed down.

So I'm going to get this week's bread made, finish the laundry, get some classwork done, and then sit here and knit. (Already fed the critters) Then make the beds and such. Slowly. LOL.
Skip the unnecessary things like making the bed. It's best to take it easy until your back is better.

It has been a few glorious weekends here in Portland, OR. I made a lot of progress clearing a bunch of brush, planted a bunch of fruit trees.

One day while I was outside a migrant worker drove by and asked if I had any work. Luckily I had some cash on me (I NEVER carry cash anymore) and I got him to put in all of my terraced beds! He was so awesome and helpful.

I'm now filling my beds with compost as I am going to attempt to use the no dig method for the garden beds.

Back
Top Bottom