What did you do in the garden today?

View attachment 2352801
I am supposed to taste test the vinegar tonight to see if its ready or if it needs 2 more weeks of sitting around. Too their is a top layer that looks like this. When I tried to scoop it out it fell down into the vinegar and mixed in with it. Maybe its "The Mother" .. not sure. Thinking of siphoning it out from the bottom... or do I stir it up and keep it because its "The Mother" looks like I am going to be doing some research. I still need to taste test it to see if it tastes like vinegar.

Interesting reading about vinegar. Is it a flavored variety?

It's been forever since I posted.
I cleaned the garden out. It's the end of the season here. There was alot of pumpkin and other squash/gourdes, two eggplant, a few small tomatoes (I actually left some tomato vines that were covered with green tomatoes), and a mix of peppers.
20200928_165442.jpg

Interesting reading about vinegar. Is it a flavored variety?
It has the flavors of the fruit peels I used to make it. The fruits I used to ferment the hot pepper with, I saved and froze the peels, when I had enough I stuffed them into a one gallon container and added distilled water, pure cane sugar, and small bit of cloudy Apple Cider Vinegar with "The mother" to give it the right kind of bacteria to make Vinegar. It has a hint of Pine Apple and Mango. I also used banana peels but I didn't notice a banana flavor. The fruit flavor is as strong as the apple flavor of Apple Cider Vinegar. I plan on mixing this vinegar with the hot pepper ferments I made to give it a tangy flavored hot sauce. Just experimenting around with the super hot peppers I grew in the garden this year. And that kinda explains how it ended up in this thread, I am following up on what I did with the Carolina Reaper and Ghost peppers I grew. I didn't like the fermented hot sauce I made and figured mixing it with a Vinegar would make for a better hot sauce. In the future I will be adding hot peppers to the fruit peels I make vinegar with. I also want to start making Vinegar from the plants I grow rather than store bought fruit. First I wanted to make a successful batch of vinegar before I started experimenting on different ways to make vinegar.
------
I use this video on how to do make vinegar because I didn't describe every step

Interesting @Compost King - I do wonder if that is The Mother! I'm so fascinated with your trials.

I'm glad I didn't pull all the tomatoes when we had the threat of frost, I have quite a few ripening on the vine. I've never heard of green tomato chow!

I got 1 out of 8 beds cleaned up & composted & ready for a cover crop (which should be here tomorrow) or for garlic or shallots. Only 7 more to go! I'm not pulling the tomatoes though, the weather looks good for the foreseeable future & I prefer the maters straight off the vine as opposed to ripened in the kitchen.

I need to go get some good compost, I don't have enough of my own to get it all done. But I'll get about half way - that's not bad. I also need to draw up my beds for next year, need to decide where to rotate everything to so I know where to plant the garlic & shallots. I think I'll plant those in the beds where the squash & all those darn squash bugs were this year. Can't imagine the stupid bugs will enjoy that.

Were supposed to get a ton of much needed rain tonight/tomorrow. Yay.

Have a good one ya'll!

What are armadillo eggs Penny & how do you make them...please & thank you! 💞
Okay I use poblano peppers we are old the jalapeno was touch too much for us :frow

Armadillo Eggs

Ingredients

24 jalapeno peppers

1 pound sausage

2 cups all-purpose baking mix

1 (16 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon garlic salt

1 (16 ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, cubed

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.

Cut a slit in each jalapeno pepper. Remove and discard seeds and pulp.

In a medium bowl, mix sausage, baking mix, Cheddar cheese, crushed red pepper, and garlic salt.

Stuff jalapenos with the Monterey Jack cheese cubes. Shape sausage mixture around the jalapenos to form balls.

Arrange jalapeno balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.

Okay I use poblano peppers we are old the jalapeno was touch too much for us :frow

Armadillo Eggs

Ingredients

24 jalapeno peppers

1 pound sausage

2 cups all-purpose baking mix

1 (16 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

1 tablespoon garlic salt

1 (16 ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, cubed

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.

Cut a slit in each jalapeno pepper. Remove and discard seeds and pulp.

In a medium bowl, mix sausage, baking mix, Cheddar cheese, crushed red pepper, and garlic salt.

Stuff jalapenos with the Monterey Jack cheese cubes. Shape sausage mixture around the jalapenos to form balls.

Arrange jalapeno balls on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
Thank you so much Penny! 💞 These sound pretty amazing...I'm old too, but I will probably make this with both jalapeno & poblano...to see which way we like it best!

Back
Top Bottom