What did you do in the garden today?

The problem is sourcing muscovies around here. I initially wanted them, but the feed stores don't carry muscovies and I haven't had luck finding a person within a reasonable drive with them who would be willing to sell ducklings. I could order hatching eggs, but it's costly and risky and I need a new incubator.
Sometimes if you ask your feed store manager when they place their chick orders, they'll special order for you too.

WOW ! Those tomatoes are awesome.

We're heading for 55 today, so I think I'll take the dog to TSC and hose her off and let her dry while I get some shopping there managed. 45 tomorrow and then back to the 30s where we belong.

I've decided on a historic dress period for the ranch. It's only taken me 6 years. We're going for 1850. Trail era clothing, but not the Little House era, everyone here gets stuck on, which is the Homesteading era. Why? We do a great deal of education and show and tell here, and for sales, so it's very much worth it. Luckily I have Historic costuming from Viking to 1770s up to 1880s. So Many pieces will slide from one era to another. I will have to make a few new bonnets and a couple of shirts. Easy enough.

Of course for dangerous work, tractor, mowing, animal care, spraying, extreme temperatures, etc - modern ranch clothing will be the order of the day.

Kinda of excited.

WOW ! Those tomatoes are awesome.

We're heading for 55 today, so I think I'll take the dog to TSC and hose her off and let her dry while I get some shopping there managed. 45 tomorrow and then back to the 30s where we belong.

I've decided on a historic dress period for the ranch. It's only taken me 6 years. We're going for 1850. Trail era clothing, but not the Little House era, everyone here gets stuck on, which is the Homesteading era. Why? We do a great deal of education and show and tell here, and for sales, so it's very much worth it. Luckily I have Historic costuming from Viking to 1770s up to 1880s. So Many pieces will slide from one era to another. I will have to make a few new bonnets and a couple of shirts. Easy enough.

Of course for dangerous work, tractor, mowing, animal care, spraying, extreme temperatures, etc - modern ranch clothing will be the order of the day.

Kinda of excited.

A couple of years ago I took a road trip with some coworkers. We were headed for Austin. Somewhere in TX, we ended up down a side road and found this adorable little old fashioned village. It was LOADED with people so obviously very popular. They had a series of maybe a dozen buildings laid out like a village? Each building was something different - candlemaking, quilting, blacksmith shop, pottery, etc.... They had activities to not only learn how to make these items, but also buy these items from various artisans. There was also a restaurant on the premises which, I believe, was actually the main attraction. Everything was made from organic food. Waitresses were dressed in period dress. It was literally just like you were at a homestead in the mid 1800s. Very cool and the food was ABSOLUTELY A-MAZ-ING! I don't know the name of the place but it was one of the coolest places I've ever visited. It did NOT have a "tourist-y" feel to it with cheap, Chinese junk or stupid money-bait type activities. It clearly was a money maker by how many people were there.... I know the waiting list to get into the restaurant was at least 45 minutes long but people had PLENTY of things to do while they waited.

COOL! We had a place like that in Columbus Ohio when I was a kid. It was next to the fairgrounds and the state historic building complex. I loved it. In the 70s the people that worked/volunteered there really got into it. There was a blacksmith, schoolhouse/church, general store, barber shop, a few houses, a seamstress shop, and a livery. I'm sure there were a few other buildings I'm forgetting, but as a kid it was an amazing experience. It's a shadow of its former self. So go the volunteers and the neighborhood I'm afraid.

Oh and at Christmastime....what a sight.

COOL! We had a place like that in Columbus Ohio when I was a kid. It was next to the fairgrounds and the state historic building complex. I loved it. In the 70s the people that worked/volunteered there really got into it. There was a blacksmith, schoolhouse/church, general store, barber shop, a few houses, a seamstress shop, and a livery. I'm sure there were a few other buildings I'm forgetting, but as a kid it was an amazing experience. It's a shadow of its former self. So go the volunteers and the neighborhood I'm afraid.

Oh and at Christmastime....what a sight.

I mourn for the knowledge we've lost from "the old ways..." I moved to Arkansas from northern Indiana back in 2003 to take care of my 86 yr old grandmother whom I had only met one time. Before moving, I had never owned livestock, planted a garden, learned canning, etc... I was the quintessential suburbanite. My grandmother taught me all of these things in the few years I got to spend with her before she passed away. Since then, I've tried hard to teach my kids and pass on what I've learned from many old people around here....

Back
Top Bottom