What did you do in the garden today?

Today I watered all the veggies (butternut squash, tomatoes, peppers, rhubarb, asparagus, cabbage) and worked on finishing mulching. I'm trying to get the entire veggie patch mulched with cut grass so we have to weed as little as possible.
Cut grass is working well for us here. We also have straw as a mulch that is working well too. I cannot wait until Fall when I get to mulch with dried leaves. I have mulched like crazy and it is working. The only plants not mulched are lettuce, carrots and radishes. I made the mistake of mulching over the parsnips and they didn't come up well. I think the straw mulch was too much for them to push through. I well not make that mistake next year.

I spent two hours hauling a hose and buckets around, watering the sandy garden, the blueberries, and the two cherry and apple trees. I really need to get some stakes to put at the end of the rows so I can move the hose and not have it drag over the plants.

I have learned I must wear gloves. The hose gets wet and is covered with sand. Hard on the skin. Also, sand gets on my pants and sleeves. So either plan to stay in the garden and work and be dirty, or go change my clothes. It's just not a clean endeavor.

That is one thing I love about using the tires little to no weeding .. We just had a hard fast moving rain squall
go through no thunder heard as they called for

You know what I love most about using tires for gardening? My DH doesn't run over stuff with the mower or the trimmer.... 😂. Last year he would either get too close or too far away. So much easier now that I don't worry about him hitting any plants!

Morning all. Man I can't tell you how much I would love an old craw foot tub! We have a tiny tub, not big enough to lay in.

I have only been out to cut the garlic scapes & some parsley for the beef bone broth I'm making. Bones are roasted & in the pot now, will simmer till tomorrow afternoon. I don't have any good containers for it so I may try ziplock bags, but I'm scared they'll leak before they freeze. I'll have to find a pan to freeze them in or something.

Got egg muffins in the oven baking for DH now. Will make some small meatballs for a version of italian wedding soup for lunches too.

I'm afraid to look at my peppers after all the rain yesterday, they were already on the edge.

Not much else going on here.
I have used zip lock bags for broth and no problem here.

Back
Top Bottom