What did you do in the garden today?

I never had any luck with my lemon & lime trees. The grapefruit tree looked great but never bloomed in the 30 years I had it. I gave them all to my niece, no room for them here. I only have the fig now.

I made a casserole with the turkey leftovers & froze it. It looked pretty good. When we used to have football season tickets I would make bubble & squeak for the day after game with the leftovers & we'd warm them up on the grill - always a HUGE hit.

:mad: COVID ruined yet another family get together. Our host tested pos this am. A few are still getting together but I can't risk it.

I finally figured out why my nest sleeper won't roost - she's being bullied. I've noticed that when I block the nests she either sleeps on the floor or at the very far end of the coop by herself. I figured it was because she was molting but I've seen another bird beating on her the last few days & have heard fighting going on a lot. Today was the last straw - she chased her 60 feet from one end of the run to the other, pinned her down & went to town till I separated them. So I set up the 2nd coop & locked the bully up. They are the 2 birds at the bottom of the pecking order, vying for that 2nd to the last rung I suppose. Chicken drama, just what I need right now. I won't keep 2 coops for the winter, she has a week to straighten out or she's soup.

Well the last of the turkey was made into turkey and noodles . We had some sandwiches from the leftovers also . I like smoked turkey . Have not had any in years . Use to be a place that would smoke them . Out of business years ago . Venison jerky in the dehydrator . Nice day but rain tonight-tomorrow .
Throw some alfredo sauce on it, 1/2 cup parmesian cheese, 1/2 cup heavy cream or even half and half, and 1/2 stick butter. heat until slowly boils, being milk don't ranse it with too hard a boil, put some garlic in it or other spices as you'd like, take off heat, let sit a minute or two stir well and pour all over your smoked turkey chunks and noodles.

then put some in a box and mail it to me, i just made myself hungry :D

Seriously though, give it a try ya' gonna love it

Aaron

:mad: COVID ruined yet another family get together. Our host tested pos this am. A few are still getting together but I can't risk it.

I finally figured out why my nest sleeper won't roost - she's being bullied. I've noticed that when I block the nests she either sleeps on the floor or at the very far end of the coop by herself. I figured it was because she was molting but I've seen another bird beating on her the last few days & have heard fighting going on a lot. Today was the last straw - she chased her 60 feet from one end of the run to the other, pinned her down & went to town till I separated them. So I set up the 2nd coop & locked the bully up. They are the 2 birds at the bottom of the pecking order, vying for that 2nd to the last rung I suppose. Chicken drama, just what I need right now. I won't keep 2 coops for the winter, she has a week to straighten out or she's soup.
she's not going to straighten up, sadly it's almost impossible to get that to happen, you'd have to isolate the bully for at least a week,keep her in solitary while the others do their thing, long enough to break the pecking order so when she is let back in, she learns to behave (wont happen for a hard bully),. Id spend the time from now to the end of the week looking for chicken recipes :x

Spare the rod, spoil the child, well it works for birds too. I'll leave you to your own imaginings how to apply that.

It sucks when you have to cull one because she's just a miserable c. But the alternative is she eventually kills that one, then moves to the next, as bullies never are satisfied, and always need someone to pick on.

aaron

Took a small load of old furniture to the charity shop in the next little town over.
Forgot it was their Christmas day, reindeer, santa on the square, games for kids, parade tonight, what a flippin zoo.
Came home to clean the wood shop a little more.
Now having a nice sit down with some cheese and crackers.
Was warm and sunny today 61'

she's not going to straighten up, sadly it's almost impossible to get that to happen, you'd have to isolate the bully for at least a week,keep her in solitary while the others do their thing, long enough to break the pecking order so when she is let back in, she learns to behave (wont happen for a hard bully),. Id spend the time from now to the end of the week looking for chicken recipes :x

Spare the rod, spoil the child, well it works for birds too. I'll leave you to your own imaginings how to apply that.

It sucks when you have to cull one because she's just a miserable c. But the alternative is she eventually kills that one, then moves to the next, as bullies never are satisfied, and always need someone to pick on.

aaron
I culled the last mean girl for peace & I'll do it again - this one has 1 week before my surgery... The 2 were day olds when I got them & they've gotten along fine for the last year so I'm not sure why, all of a sudden, there is a shake up. Hopefully they figure it out quick. Stupid thing is, mean girl is still laying eggs so I'd rather not cull her. :he

Back
Top Bottom