What did you do in the garden today?

And along those lines, my drip depot order shipped today!!!! :celebrate You have no idea how excited I am to get an irrigation system! No more getting up at 6 AM nearly every day all. summer. long. The last time I was this excited about something was when we bought our house! :gig

:clap :drool Every year I look into making an irrigation system. I really need something for my main garden where I do not have running water from a pump. We had a drought summer a few years back and almost everything in my main garden died. The only plants that survived were in the raised garden beds with the hügelkultur wood in the bottom. Since then, I have been trying to find a gravity irrigation system that would work.

I moved a lot of my gardening to behind the house where I can stretch out a water hose and sprinkler. I have a manual hose timer that I usually set for 15-30 minutes of run time on days I want to water the gardens.

I went ahead and seeded out some ... daikon radish,

Last night, I found a small bag full of daikon radish seeds I got years ago. I planted them one year but they did not grow very well in my garden soil (mostly sand by the lake). The radishes were maybe only 6 inches at the most.

I'm thinking about building a separate raised garden bed, 16 inches tall, and just filling it with loose topsoil and compost to see if the daikon radish will grow longer. Most of my raised beds are filled with hugulkulture wood in the bottom 8-10 inches, and then top soil and compost for the top 6-8 inches. But I know the daikon radish needs more depth of soil to strech out and the wood would stop the growth.

Dear Wife is from the Philippines, and she buys the white radishes from the store and cooks them in her soups. I really like the taste and crunch of the white radish in the soup.

I know some local farmers just plant the daikon radish as a cover crop and/or to feed the wild deer, but we eat those delicious white radishes ourselves.

Last edited:
Sometimes you just need to squeeze the tray a bit for the soil to come out. It's possible that you needed to press the soil a bit more when filling them as well. Does the soil seem really loose?
Very loose. For some reason i always thought u shouldnt compact it 🤷🏻‍♀️. This is the first time ive used starter cells. I tried compacting it a bit in the bigger pots but when i Watered them they sank in the center a bit. I dont have nearly as many issues when i wing it, just when i try to do things "properly"

I got my starter pots all out and filled with soil. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the seeds in them and get them going. A little later than last year.
Life feels like trying to run underwater, most days. I have to do things in stages so I can keep moving forward. Takes me longer to get my head and heart into it.

:clap :drool Every year I look into making an irrigation system. I really need something for my main garden where I do not have running water from a pump. We had a drought summer a few years back and almost everything in my main garden died. The only plants that survived were in the raised garden beds with the hügelkultur wood in the bottom. Since then, I have been trying to find a gravity irrigation system that would work.

I moved a lot of my gardening to behind the house where I can stretch out a water hose and sprinkler. I have a manual hose timer that I usually set for 15-30 minutes of run time on days I want to water the gardens.

Last night, I found a small bag full of daikon radish seeds I got years ago. I planted them one year but they did not grow very well in my garden soil (mostly sand by the lake). The radishes were maybe only 6 inches at the most.

I'm thinking about building a separate raised garden bed, 16 inches tall, and just filling it with loose topsoil and compost to see if the daikon radish will grow longer. Most of my raised beds are filled with hugulkulture wood in the bottom 8-10 inches, and then top soil and compost for the top 6-8 inches. But I know the daikon radish needs more depth of soil to strech out and the wood would stop the growth.

Dear Wife is from the Philippines, and she buys the white radishes from the store and cooks them in her soups. I really like the taste and crunch of the white radish in the soup.

I know some local farmers just plant the daikon radish as a cover crop and/or to feed the wild deer, but we eat those delicious white radishes ourselves.
I did save about a cup of daikon radish seeds. I'll plant a few in the garden just to try it, but the rest I'll put in the pasture in the fall. I did put seeds out last fall but our weather was so wonky so nothing grew. I bought them to help break up compacted soil in the pasture. I also put out a bunch of clover and fava beans hoping as legumes they can help improve nitrogen in the soil. Of course, that's provided the birds and squirrels don't eat it all before it germinates. 🙄

Got my apple, pear, plum and cherry trees pruned. Waiting on the peach and nectarines because it's supposed to snow mid week. If anyone in the front range needs peach and nectarine scions hit me up. I will have lots! I can go back and get some apple if it doesn't warm up too quickly. Going to try my hand at grafting tomorrow if the wind cooperates.

@gtaus. I saw that cement mixer and thought it was yours...

Good afternoon all. I watered a few things this morning before work, that’s the extent of my gardening today. I’ll need to fix one of the auto waterers on Saturday, it’s not siphoning water and it was dark when I was out there. I’m not going out again, it’s cold and windy and I’m tired after work so it’ll have to wait. Poor dog is itchy from allergies too, she goes next week to get a shot.
I started Patrick (the dog) on zyrtec last week, it’s helped a ton. This is the first year he’s even had allergy issues! What shot does she get, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’m on all my meds, have 2 air filters running & barely leave the house so I’m not too bad yet but they say it’s nasty early because we had no winter. Being a hermit has its benefits. 😂

Back
Top Bottom