What did you do in the garden today?

Ugggh! When you have to call the plumber back because he didn’t call back ( in the time frame he said he would ) and then he wants to know when do you want to get this fixed?? We are a family of 7 living with no water!!!! Including 3 boys ages 6, 9 & 12. We want it fixed right away!! 😳
On another note, I found a hidden stash of eggs. 31 eggs. 30 of which were frozen and cracked. 😡
I’ve had to buy eggs 3 times this winter. I fed them all back to the chickens.
"a week from next July" wth did he think you wanted it fixed?!

Ugggh! When you have to call the plumber back because he didn’t call back ( in the time frame he said he would ) and then he wants to know when do you want to get this fixed?? We are a family of 7 living with no water!!!! Including 3 boys ages 6, 9 & 12. We want it fixed right away!! 😳
On another note, I found a hidden stash of eggs. 31 eggs. 30 of which were frozen and cracked. 😡
I’ve had to buy eggs 3 times this winter. I fed them all back to the chickens.
Man you are having a tough couple days! I find it so hard to get reliable help for things like that, hopefully he doesn't disappoint any further. :hugs I was just out of hot water for almost 3 weeks - that sucked. But at least we had cold water for most of the time!

It would be easy to make that type of system if you had all the totes on the same level. But I was thinking of making a 3-tier shelf to stack the totes and save room out in the garden area.
You could make your reservoir higher than your totes and drip water into the tote's reservoir. My earth box drinks about a gallon a day, so you could adjust the drip to refill 1 gallon or less a day and shut it off at night. There is a drain hole on my earth boxes, so it can never be over filled.

For you garlic growers I have a question. I planted garlic cloves last October or November (don't remember exactly) and after a few weeks they were all sprouting.

They continued growing slowly, and even survived all the snow and temperatures in the teens. The plants are still upright and green after all the snow melted away.

I thought garlic started growing in the fall, then kind of died off in the winter, and then came back to finish growing in the spring. Guess I was wrong.

So is this normal behavior for all types of garlic varieties? Do they all stay green all winter long?
My climate is very different from yours. I plant the cloves so that the tip is about 3" under the surface. I put a good layer of mulch (leaves, grass clippings, etc.) over the top. I don't see sprouts until late March/early April.
Don't they like a lot of compost fertilizer?
Yes, garlic and onions need more fertilizer, especially nitrogen, than you'd think. The bulbs are actually modified leaves, so think of feeding them as you would a green leaffy plant.

You could make your reservoir higher than your totes and drip water into the tote's reservoir. My earth box drinks about a gallon a day, so you could adjust the drip to refill 1 gallon or less a day and shut it off at night. There is a drain hole on my earth boxes, so it can never be over filled.

Well, I am looking into some kind of gravity drip system for my raised beds. Thanks.

Man you are having a tough couple days! I find it so hard to get reliable help for things like that, hopefully he doesn't disappoint any further. :hugs I was just out of hot water for almost 3 weeks - that sucked. But at least we had cold water for most of the time!
A plumber came by late this afternoon. $2,200 to just repair part of the line or $5,000 to replace the entire line all the way down to the meter ( over 300 ft through the woods).
I’m going with replacing the entire thing because I don’t want to have to do this again in a few months/years. He said he can get to it on Thursday.

28035083-1007-4441-956A-7A0C19D43B05.jpeg

I found a hidden nest of 31 eggs. 30 of which are frozen and cracked. I fed those vack yo the chickens.
Don’t they realize I’ve had to BUY eggs this winter!!
🤣🤣

I found a hidden nest of 31 eggs. 30 of which are frozen and cracked. I fed those vack yo the chickens.
Don’t they realize I’ve had to BUY eggs this winter!!

:lau That sure is a stash of hidden eggs! As someone who lives in northern Minnesota, the last 2 weeks almost all my eggs were frozen and cracked in the nest boxes before I got to them.

There is nothing wrong with a frozen and cracked egg. I wash them off and put them in a cup in the refrigerator overnight. letting them thaw out and have them for breakfast the next morning. Scrambled eggs or maybe a ham, cheese, and egg sandwich on an onion bagel.

I have never had 30 frozen and cracked eggs at one time, but you could probably wash them off, keep them in the freezer and take some out the day before you want to use them. When the eggs freeze, they seem best to use as scramble eggs, or in baking dishes. I don't cook them sunny side up if the egg has been frozen.

Nothing wrong with feeding the eggs back to the chickens, but you can eat those frozen and cracked eggs as well. Just make sure you eat them soon after you thaw them out. A cracked shell will not protect the egg from bacteria, so you don't want the eggs to go bad in the refrigerator.

Back
Top Bottom