What did you do in the garden today?

We get rolling thunder with the temperature changes. If I see lightning at all though I am running into the house or a chicken coop. I've been within 50 feet of 2 direct strikes...that's as close as I ever wanna get. So bright, loud, explosive & I practically jumped out of my skin. I was unscathed though, other than the nervous breakdown factor, lol. The 2 trees didn't fare out so well.
I have earing loss from being too close to strikes. They rattle you.

Working hard this week, caulking new trim & shoe mold, prepping walls (bad spackle job initially when it was built in the 90s), DH & I paint entire interior tomorrow, he rolls walls & I do cutting in & trim, & start tile backsplash in kitchen. We are pushing to get finished before Sunday. The new flooring looks great. Makes me want to rip walls out here at home 😆.

When we get home I let Homing Pigeons, Guineas & Chickens out, & we all have a blast those few hours before dusk. I love flock time ❤️. It was so warm! Actually had to put the a/c on in the house. I have been cutting up the Holly tree DH chopped down, bit by bit, & burning in the fire pit. I'm letting the stump grow back but I will keep it a big round shrub like the other one. It had some issue, part of the trunk was hollow, i see that now its cut. No wonder the Woodpeckers were pecking it like crazy.

There's a large Pine tree nearby (Mother Nature planted it!) & it is gorgeous. I have pine needles around the base & it produces big pine cones & smells amazing! I Love Pines!
20240523_222508.jpg 20240523_222459.jpg 20240523_222436.jpg

This is my 1st longer needle type of pine & I will be planting more. I read that blueberries do well near pines, so this is a gradual process, clearing the holly, etc. & I will move the blueberries here eventually. Well, I am sitting at the fire pit listening to 60s & 70s music watching the last glowing embers. Time to go in, get a shower & hit the sack. 5am comes early.
20240523_222606.jpg
It's another beautiful moon, too. Goodnight All, sweet dreams 😴.
20240523_224743.jpg

Last edited:
Pick them at a size you like to eat and the plant will make more. If they get overly ripe they are not as tasty and the seeds will be larger.

If the plants start making lots of seed they generally stop flowering as much and sometimes die. If you keep picking they keep flowering to make fruit. Then you have lots of eggplant.

eggplants are perennial here. in case of heavy snow they do need some protection.

What did we do in the garden today? Well it's an orchard, but... we picked ripe sweet cherries and even mulberries. WHAT. That's about a month early.

It's a really unusual year. Had +30 C (85 F) in mid-April (probably earliest ever) followed by frost. Frost events are normal for that time but +30 C is not. Nevertheless most of fruit that had already been set seems to have survived.

Ripe fruit is welcome but at this pace we'll use up the entire year by September.

photo_2024-05-24_08-55-19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom