What did your chickens do today?

It's 107 F degrees here today...(40 C) My three RIR's did their there normal routine of hanging on the back porch till the sun came to the west side of the house, then off to the "was garden" for dirt bath. I followed them around the yard as they followed the shade by putting out the water container as close to them as possible. Then I tried a batch of ice water and the didn't take to that but chose to hang out in the "was garden" and pant heavily until sundown.

The picture below is Gabby on the porch. Poop behind her and the ever present water hose in front of her.
cool.png

It's 107 F degrees here today...(40 C) My three RIR's did their there normal routine of hanging on the back porch till the sun came to the west side of the house, then off to the "was garden" for dirt bath. I followed them around the yard as they followed the shade by putting out the water container as close to them as possible. Then I tried a batch of ice water and the didn't take to that but chose to hang out in the "was garden" and pant heavily until sundown. The picture below is Gabby on the porch. Poop behind her and the ever present water hose in front of her. :cool:
Good lord I would die! I can't stand when it hits 80 here :)

Today I got the pleasure of doing the "classic" feeding a duck on a pond. My duck has been very wary of me but today she let me walk right up to her while she was in her tub and I chucked bread in for her, much to her delight.
Also I introduced my new pullets in with my flock.

I treated my young flock to watermelon for the first time today. They were very unsure what to think after I set several large pieces down. I left them for twenty minutes and when I returned, there was barely and rind left. I can't wait for us to eat the other half of the watermelon so I can see my sweeties devour their new found treasure!

I brought the 11 day old chicks out into the yard for a bit. I was nervous they would scatter but happily they stayed close and enjoyed the grass!

Hi! Our chickens enjoyed their first rainstorm today :) Thank God for the downpour today in NM with the 2 wildfires in the state, we really needed it. The chickens had a great time pecking at the damp ground and finding tons of bugs and worms. We'll see what tomorrow has in store.

Our Chickies enjoyed a couple of hours of free ranging, a fairly new activity for them. Clara Bell discovered a bright red plastic cup! Goldie Hawn felt tall on a stump that she discovered. They are 14 weeks.

And I got some much needed chicken therapy!

I learned today that my chicks will run to my voice and follow me like puppies. I built a new set of perches for them today and they didn't mind the noise because I was talking to them as I did it. Then one of my brave little girls was the first to try it out. I had confidence in my ability to make a perch, it was nice to see that she did too :)

For some reason mine come running if you knock on something. So if they're out in the yard and I can't see them I will knock on a window or something and they come running lol

Back
Top Bottom