What do I do, my duck's alone now...

TheDuckCrew

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Connecticut
I only have one duck left, Toby. and i don't know what to do, because i know he needs friends but my parents said they don't want to get more until spring because its not the right weather. but if i could get female adult ducks around his age, then maybe that would work? but idk where i'd get adult female ducks...

here's the story about why he's alone now
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=260471

Many people reduce their flock this time of year. You should be able to find an adult so you wont have to try and brood a baby in cold weather. Start checking the farm section on your local craigslist.

Last edited:
Tell your parents that if he doesnt get a buddy that he has to live inside
lau.gif

Quote:
hahaha! thats a good one! they might actually be leaning towards getting a duck from a rescue in state. im excited
big_smile.png
i'm researching more ways to fortify the duck pen and house. i know what i want for christmas and my birthday. wood, wire and money for more wood and wire!

Your best bet is to look at the coops section and find a way to make sure your coop is secure. That should be your first priority. If they are digging under it is time to bury hardware cloth or chain link and find any weak areas and bolster them up.

I am sorry you have lost so many to predators. That is really heartbreaking for you.

Quote:
yes that is definitely what i'm doing first. i've been looking at a duck rescue site with lots of helpful information. i'm not sure if i should start over again or keep what i have for now and just bury more wire. we might be moving soon so maybe i'll just start over then, and i'll make sure its veryyyy safe.

Depending on where you are in CT I actually know of 3 leads (hey, I'm duck mama... or BUST... I've been researching :) ).

#1 - Through petfinder.com there are a few rescues which have adult ducks available for adoption. I used my parent's zip code of 06371 to find the ones in Lebanon, CT
http://www.petfinder.com/search/sea...ck&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=06371

#2 - There is a feed store in CT that had a pretty large selection of ducks, chickens... and any other fowl you may be interested in. If you think you're interested in this option PM me because I"ll have to ask the name & address... I can drive it but I can't tell you where it is
smile.png

#3 - Depending on what breed you are looking for... there is a guy a few towns over from me here in MA that has Muscovies he advertised on Craigstlist earlier this fall. I contacted him to see if this is something he does often since I'm not ready at the moment. He told me to contact him when I was ready and he would certainly have birds.

hopefully one of those helps.

Last edited:
Quote:
im by the winsdor, granby, bloomfield area. between hartford and enfield kinda. considering the tiny town i live in i'm trying to name towns people might know lol.

Back
Top Bottom