What do my crossed breeds make? Im not good with that. I need help...

HLail

Songster
Apr 7, 2018
Is there a certain name for a Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red crossed rooster?
Like what crossed breeds make?

Also, if I cross my Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red Rooster with my Sapphire Gem Hen what would you call the chicks?
Once again what do the crossed breeds make?

Also, if I cross my Barred Rock/Rhode Island Red Rooster with my Sapphire Gem Hen what would you call the chicks?
If the barred rock was the hen and RIR was the sire then the offspring would be a black sex link with males being barred and females being solid black.

If the barred rock was the sire in this cross, then your boy is just a barnyard (or backyard cross).. black I'm guessing with maybe some leakage??

Sapphire Gem is also already a sex linked hybrid in blue/lavender hue.. meaning the black has been diluted.. but the females will still be solid color.. blue or lavender. Now I THINK they will still have one copy of the barring gene from mother.

What you should get would be "barnyard cross" and they would mostly all be either black or barred, but none would be sex linked. There may be some red leakage.. just for a little fun genetic background discussion.. I'm rusty, so don't take my word as gospel.

They should make a tasty dinner and plenty of eggs!

Happy hatching adventures! :jumpy

If the barred rock was the hen and RIR was the sire then the offspring would be a black sex link with males being barred and females being solid black.

If the barred rock was the sire in this cross, then your boy is just a barnyard (or backyard cross).. black I'm guessing with maybe some leakage??

Sapphire Gem is also already a sex linked hybrid in blue/lavender hue.. meaning the black has been diluted.. but the females will still be solid color.. blue or lavender. Now I THINK they will still have one copy of the barring gene from mother.

What you should get would be "barnyard cross" and they would mostly all be either black or barred, but none would be sex linked. There may be some red leakage.. just for a little fun genetic background discussion.. I'm rusty, so don't take my word as gospel.

They should make a tasty dinner and plenty of eggs!

Happy hatching adventures! :jumpy
Wow I am shocked at all you do know. Thank you for sharing that with me. That really does give me a start to help with my research. Thank you!

Rhode island red + barred rock = rhode rock. They are pretty chickens and some consider them to be their own breed.

Back
Top Bottom