What do you all do about the smell with these little sweeties!!!

Quote:
Horse wood stall pellets are the same thing, about $6.00/bag at TSC. I use them a LOT and love them :)

The Cozy 'N Fresh and the horse wood stall pellets at (TSC)Tractor Supply Co. are made by the same company, however they are not the same thing. Hence the price. The Cozy 'N Fresh are kiln dried to the point the Hydrocarbons and oils are removed which is toxic to chicks, the horse stall pellets are not. The Cozy 'N Fresh also has activated carbon for odor control, the horse stall pellets do not.

ThePamperedPullet, I also feed my chicks the Purina Chick Starter, however until I went to the pellets them little jokers were smelly. IDK?

I use plain pine shavings and feed Purina. I start chicks in my sunroom, and I never had an issue with smell. Cleaned about twice a week at first, 3x a week when they got a bit bigger.

My only complaint about using an indoor brooder is the dust.

Quote:
Horse wood stall pellets are the same thing, about $6.00/bag at TSC. I use them a LOT and love them :)

AND... Wood Stove pellets? Same thing. I use them for litter in my rabbit cage, and have used them with rats too. Just make sure they do not have additives (Some brands do, though I have yet to encounter any). I get mine at the feed store for the rabbit- and they're $5 and some change. You can find them cheaper sometimes at Walmart, etc- but Walmart and other grocery-type stores carry them only seasonally. I finally gave up doing that route- I save money but never know when they'll stop carrying! >.<

Puppy pee pads when they're little and then adding a bit of dry stall when they're older and the pee pads aren't quite cutting it. I was surprised at how much nicer they smelled with using the puppy pee pads, and usually one was just the right size for the box I was using as a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom