what do you all do to keep your birds from being too bored all winter?what do you feed for treats?

This is our first year also but our situation is a bit different being in Michigan in the lake effect snow belt. We have over ten inches of snow on the ground and it has snowed every day for at least a week! Our girls don't approve of the snow but seem quite hardy. We leave a 40 watt light on in their sleeping area for only part of the night or all night if the temp is going down towards zero and a heat lamp in the pen when it's cold. We kept a big pile of leaves we raked under a tarp and I throw some on the snow or pull a rake through them to give them something to look through. We let them run our fenced yard as much as they want during the day as our cats are scared of them and so is our Jack Russell Terrier mix dog. We have no fulltime neighbors, just cottagers (we are in the boondocks!) Now at least the bears are asleep and their coop is very secure-so far no other critters looking around. For treats we use the cooked oatmeal(usually with some raisins in it), plain leftover spaghetti or macaroni(they go crazy for the pasta), plain cooked rice, also they LOVE cottage cheese for some reason. We also buy Cackleberry treats at the feed store. We give a bit of extra scratch/cracked corn before bed to help them keep warm. I wondered about leaving a light on every night for warmth but then I remembered my grandma always had chickens - before they had electricity on the farm. Those chickens just sat next to each other in the roost and kept each other warm. So far so good for us also, as long as they are out of the wind! They are fun anyway!

They REALLY enjoyed the Thanksgiving turkey carcass, it was delightfully wrong watching them peck it clean (wrong as in the whole chickens eating turkey thing).

Also, try putting down cardboard, plywood or plastic on bare soil, then remove it after a few days.. you'd be amazed at all the creepy crawlies that pop up, they have a field day 'hunting'.

My girls also have a compost pile perch.. contraption. They enjoy kicking out all the leafs and they slowly shred them into lovely little pieces. The soil in their run has got to be *amazing* considering all the manure and shredded leafs they've scratched through it.

Mine still get bored, especially when it's raining and the run gets super mucky, as it has been the past week... they end up eating twice as much food and race for the door when I open it (trying to escape to free-range).

They didn't care one bit for cabbage. Kale or collards is a bit better to their liking. They like chasing an apple, it's like chicken soccer.
sickbyc.gif
what is wrong with you!

We've had the cold early this ear and its the girls first winter. We got our very first egg on a -20 day! So far three are giving us about an egg a day. Their coop is insulated and has one 250 watt heat lamp that comes on when it is colder than -20. They are fluffy healthy girls! For fun I give them their favorite broccoli, as well as scratch, cracked corn and warm cooked raw oats on cold nights like tonight which is -32. There is almost 2 feet of straw and shavings in their coop to insulate their floor so they enjoy digging giant craters in that. I cant get them out in the snow at all in their run, but they love pecking it off my boots. I love them
smile.png

After reading this thread I picked up a head of iceberg lettuce (no cabbage in stock) and set up the tether ball today. The lettuce was completely gone in 30 minutes. It was entertaining to say the least. It took them a few minutes to grow comfortable with the foreign object, but once they started it was relentless. Nice tip.

I found that filling the run with leaves and small amount of shaving mix changed their lives. They love scratching and foraging all day. I throw food out under the leaves so that they find something tastey. I hung a few CDs-about head high- with fishing line from the roof of the run and they peck at those for hours. A little reflection from the sun and they go nuts.

We have had several early snows so far this year and the flock hasn't gone out at all, though they can if they want. So every afternoon that I can, I have been taking themtreats, usually bread crumbs, which is their favorite, but sometimes other stuff. I toss the treats around in the straw and shavings and also bring them some warm water as they've been drinking a lot of water in this cold weather. I think they appreciate the visits, as it breaks up their day.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I picked up a head of iceberg lettuce (no cabbage in stock) and set up the tether ball today. The lettuce was completely gone in 30 minutes. It was entertaining to say the least. It took them a few minutes to grow comfortable with the foreign object, but once they started it was relentless. Nice tip.

Yes it is funny & entertaining to watch them dealing with new foods and the way we deliver it to them ........

Back
Top Bottom