What do you do with a hen who is done laying?

They slow down a LOT but by then, my girls have earned a fine retirement on my land. I mean, I feed the darn dogs until the end and they NEVER fed me a thing! My girlies earn the love and respect of any other pet.
love.gif

I am running a chicken retirement home, I guess, and sacrificing some eggs. But the philosophical rewards are great. Life has value at all ages, and besides psychologically I guess I am thinking "I sure hope my value doesn't decline once I hit menopause!"

I think this statement right here is the root of why so many people now days cannot face the fact of death or even killing an animal for food. I think they identify with the animal to the degree that, if they can somehow hold off the animal's death for a long while, maybe they too will not die for a long time either. Is it fear of their own mortality that causes this phenomenon?

Yes, life has value at all ages for a human. It doesn't mean that old age is devalued in humans just because it is of less desirability in a food animal. Older animals are more tough, harder to chew. Chickens are a food animal and this is one fact that cannot be disputed. Regardless if you eat your chickens or something else does, they will in fact be consumed by something when their lives are ended on this earth.

And....for the record, mine do not wear watches nor mark off calendars. They know when its daylight or dark, when it is hot or cold. The wonderful gift that God did give to lesser creatures is that they do not have this thing called "time".​

I just read through every post in this thread, since this is something my family and I have been discussing since we got our first chickens 6 months ago. I just want to thank everyone for their input, but especially beekissed. (You have so eloquently expressed exactly the sentiments that I will need to convey to my family, especially the kids, when the time comes.) My DH has said he wants to do the "processing", but the rest of us know he is the biggest softie in the world. I know when the time comes, it will be me...it always is. Anyway, thanks. ><>

Quote:

I think this statement right here is the root of why so many people now days cannot face the fact of death or even killing an animal for food. I think they identify with the animal to the degree that, if they can somehow hold off the animal's death for a long while, maybe they too will not die for a long time either. Is it fear of their own mortality that causes this phenomenon?

Yes, life has value at all ages for a human. It doesn't mean that old age is devalued in humans just because it is of less desirability in a food animal. Older animals are more tough, harder to chew. Chickens are a food animal and this is one fact that cannot be disputed. Regardless if you eat your chickens or something else does, they will in fact be consumed by something when their lives are ended on this earth.

And....for the record, mine do not wear watches nor mark off calendars. They know when its daylight or dark, when it is hot or cold. The wonderful gift that God did give to lesser creatures is that they do not have this thing called "time".

Well said.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Hmmm.. I live in the woods and do not wear a watch or really use clocks very much.. When daylight comes I get up when it is dark I go to sleep. I know by the suns position in the sky in a given time of year when I should get the kids from the bus. Matter of fact I strongly prefer trying to live by the natural rhythms of my body and mother earth...

Yikes.... Beekissed is going to butcher mee cause I am a lesser creature....
ep.gif

Maybe humans are the lesser creatures... Since we lack this gift?
If this is the case chickens are no better than humans...Given the chance they would eat us....
wink.png

ON

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Hahaha I agree! My 18 love and trust me... they take turns laying down and snuggling on my lap- tho still only about 14 weeks old and no eggs yet there is no way after all this I will be able to cull/eat them or even let anyone else do so. So I will be one of the lucky who has a "Old age home for hens"

I hope mine die naturally before I have to kill them.Ofcourse my kids would not want me to kill them,and no one would eat them.I would probably do the deed and just say they died.I like the chickens like pets(as the kids do),but have seen animals killed for food so it doesn't bother me to even consider it.

We have decided today to keep our oldest girl as long as she is healthy. She stopped laying a long time ago. The others will have to go when they stop - the old girl is an exception to our rule!! Not being soft but there are just some you get more attached to. The others have a stay of execution for now as we just found where they are all laying in the bonfire that is being built!

I basically agree with the last poster about being willing to slaughter animals yourself if you are going to eat meat. That being said, I can't. I have struggled most of my adult life with a balance between political correctness and lightening up. It's the balance that seems important. The truth is that we are all different and any blanket statement or rule made for all is IMO ridiculous. My personal answer to the problem of animal slaughter/consumption is this :
After being a vegetarian for 18 years (and yes, eating cheese and dairy from factory farmed dairy cows) I began eating local. I eat as local as possible and I am blessed to live in a place where we have grassfed and finished beef, pasture raised poultry and free range pork. We have a local guy growing grains and he and his wife raise chickens for meat and sell them at the farmers market. I do not buy meat that does not have the stamp "humanely raised" on it -- that goes past the "free range" stamp which can be misleading. My girls are not laying yet so I buy my eggs from a neighbor whose girls are laying a lot. I do not buy eggs otherwise. My milk is goat milk from a gal with a goat and cheese is from the local creamery -- I drive by the cows on my way to town and they are apparently "happy cows". I chose this place to live because of the culture that supports sustainable agriculture and it's farmers. I spend a fortune on food but scrimp on everything else -- I am not rich but have my priorities. I believe that I am living closer to the balance than I was when I was a strict vegetarian. I enjoy life and am thankful for every bite!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom