What Do You Do With A Sick Chicken?

What do you do with a sick chicken?

• Take it to the vet, of course!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I would take it to the vet, but it's too expensive. I'll take care of it, then bury it if it dies...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Cull it. Not going to waste any time. I have plenty of other birds.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave it. Not my problem.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just try to cure it, if all else fails, no choice but to cull it.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
I can not take them to the vet because of the expense, Having sometimes more than 1000 I have to doctor my own. I rarely loose a sick one and do not have a lot of sick ones, BUT Its been a long time since I have owned a chicken close 3 years old or older---I sell them around 2 1/2 years old or a little younger and I will have young ones already laying to replace them.

Last edited:
The only time I have "sick" chickens is when I let them get over 3 years old. The last time I had any that old, two of them ended up with ascites. I watched the first one to see if it would get better. It didn't. The second one, we didn't let suffer. I can't afford to pay $100 or more to take a chicken to the vet when I can replace them for far less than that.

I like my chickens but they have a purpose here and it's not as pets. I could never see taking a chicken to a vet. If it's something fixable we'll certainly try to heal them. Otherwise we have to cull for the health of the flock.

I have really only had one sick bird in 10 years of chicken keeping. I have lost several to predators though. My one sick one, I culled, not because I did not want to waste time or because I have a lot of bird, but rather to protect the birds in the flock from needless exposure to a possible disease.

Back
Top Bottom