• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I store my eggs at Room temperature, I've heard they last longer. My girls are all free range so I sell as many eggs as I can. I tell people to use the 'egg sinks the bottom of a glass of water, if they're good' method to check. I live off the electrical grid, so refrigerating them is out of the question. I also mark the date I remove them from the box, in pencil, on the shell. Some people....
I brought home 6 Straight Run barred Rocks tonight, have 5 Pullets from 2 weeks ago. Thankfully, my daughter's experience helped tremendously with one new chick, close to death. Gave him/her electrolytes, via syringe and he's doing better. At least Moving, setting up on their own. Too cold for them on the way back home, I think.
I am part rabbit, Have a salad in the frig most times, put hard boiled eggs in EVERY salad. I also feed the hardboiled ones back to my girls. They LOVE the Treat....

Surplus eggs are a good excuse to get to eat lemon meringue pies.

Also, I keep meaning to try making my own deer repellent for the garden. Lots of the purchased repellents show eggs as an ingredient. I wouldn't spray it on the plants (who wants rotten eggs on their tomatoes), just the soil and weeds around garden edges.

I sell to a few people I know. Craigslist here seems to reveal a sort of egg selling territorial price war with people getting mad cuz folks copied their ad, and I'll let them have that. I think for legal sells here I'm supposed to get a candling license, grade, etc. which I'm not gonna do for 2.50/doz., which is abt. what people get here if they have a lot to sell. Plus, I'm not gonna give my neighbors who could have starred in Deliverance an excuse to case the joint or even waste my time for 2.50. Not going to drive long weekly delivery routes for that, either. Or any price, really.

I did, however, ride through a subdivision that's on my way to everywhere and give away some eggs with my ph. number to a safe looking lady out gardening. Have also thought of giving some away at houses on the roadside in exchange for cuttings of camellias or whatever.

I also give eggs away to my tenants, as well as freezing some for myself, and feeding a lot to chickens. And I put a few in for my vermicomposting redworms which are great for breaking down chicken litter into compost. I do not feed earthworms to chickens due to gapeworm and other parasites. I guess the grubs are OK so I give those to the flock.

Surplus eggs are a good excuse to get to eat lemon meringue pies.

Also, I keep meaning to try making my own deer repellent for the garden. Lots of the purchased repellents show eggs as an ingredient. I wouldn't spray it on the plants (who wants rotten eggs on their tomatoes), just the soil and weeds around garden edges.

I sell to a few people I know. Craigslist here seems to reveal a sort of egg selling territorial price war with people getting mad cuz folks copied their ad, and I'll let them have that. I think for legal sells here I'm supposed to get a candling license, grade, etc. which I'm not gonna do for 2.50/doz., which is abt. what people get here if they have a lot to sell. Plus, I'm not gonna give my neighbors who could have starred in Deliverance an excuse to case the joint or even waste my time for 2.50. Not going to drive long weekly delivery routes for that, either. Or any price, really.

I did, however, ride through a subdivision that's on my way to everywhere and give away some eggs with my ph. number to a safe looking lady out gardening. Have also thought of giving some away at houses on the roadside in exchange for cuttings of camellias or whatever.

I also give eggs away to my tenants, as well as freezing some for myself, and feeding a lot to chickens. And I put a few in for my vermicomposting redworms which are great for breaking down chicken litter into compost. I do not feed earthworms to chickens due to gapeworm and other parasites. I guess the grubs are OK so I give those to the flock.

I knew a guy once who upon hearing about how the Indians taught the Pilgrims to put a fish by each corn seed planted to fertilize it, decided to give it a try. He lived right by a small creek that had plenty of suckers and chubs, so he sat out minnow traps, and put a small fish in each hole then planted corn. Four long rows. I don't know what deer thought about this, but within a week, coons, possum, cats, skunks, dogs, foxes, etc had dug up every fish he burried, and the corn kernel right by it.

Last edited:
K. Today I gave 18 to my dental hygienist, thanking her for taking great care at cleaning my chompers. And 18 to the Papaya farmer lady in exchange for her throwaway papayas to feed to my chickens. Both were pretty tickled and it made me feel good. I got a huge bag of bruised papayas so I filled tubs to freeze for chicken summer fun. Win, win, win.
Unfortunately my reliable girls only gave me three eggs today and I have people banging at the door for them now. I love chickens. :)

Back
Top Bottom