What do you do with all your eggs?!

The rest of the eggs go to; pickled eggs (in left over pickle juice of any kind); our regular baking; bread custard/pudding made in a double boiler style, with bread (cubes), milk, eggs, raisins, apples, cinnamon & a little nutmeg. We always find something to do with what our flock of 12+ gives us. Best wishes.

I have not had a custard bread pudding since my mum made them! I think I'll have to give it a go.

*I pickle boiled eggs and put them in large jars with vinegar, water, yellow chilies, garlic and sometimes beets for red coloring. (I use the older eggs over 1 month)
*I make large batches of corn bread and freeze it in foil.
*I make banana nut breads and freeze them in small batches and defrost what I need for coffee the next morning.
Note: If you think outside the coop, you can utilize all of your eggs without wasting them.

We do love banana nut bread in this household!

Last edited:
I have not had a custard bread pudding since my mum made them! I think I'll have to give it a go.

We do love banana nut bread in this household!
Here is a great Banana Bread Recipe from my Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. One of the key ingredients that I like is the fresh ground nutmeg from whole nuts. I double the nutmeg in mine and call it banana nutmeg bread. I also put pecans instead of walnuts in mine.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 5
Most of mine end up in the compost :( I don't want to give away any with poo on them and I don't think "regular people" would understand why they aren't washed. I swap some for veggie scraps. I used to give some to some people I knew, but they moved away to the country. Now they just pile up and I throw them away periodically.
You could rinse & boil them, & give them away as hardboiled eggs or feed them back to your girls.
Or crack & freeze them raw in ice cube trays & use them later for big omelette parties.

Right now, I'm getting a dozen every third day, with 12 pullets. I know for sure that my leghorn isn't laying, but I think everybody else is. I haven't checked their pubic bones to see if everybody is close after this winter. Anyway, at this point, I'm giving them away. In CT you have to get a permit to sell eggs or chickens, and I don't want to play the games with the state. Giving them away is fine with me.
Additionally, I like eating eggs in the morning. I just bought the 'egg master' egg cooker. The one that cooks into an egg log. We'll see how that works, but this way I can take my breakfast with me in the morning.
Anyway, we eat them, and we give them away. Later this summer when everybody is up and laying, if I have an over abundance of eggs, then I'm looking into donating to the soup kitchen my daughter volunteers at.

Of course we eat our eggs. I feed some of them back to the girls. The rest I give to friends or co workers. I like to give them as thank you gifts when someone does something nice for me. I get lots of good things in return. One of my my ladies I give to brings me nice fresh lunches in return. Last year we got most of our firewood in return for each delivery of eggs! Plus I just love getting feedback on how much people love my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom