What do you do with your excess cockerels?

DancingWthDucks

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
I've got a skill at hatching cockerels. Last hatch I ended up with 1 pullet and 4 cockerels, this hatch I'm stuck with 0 pullets and 3 cockerels. It always takes me weeks to rehome them. What does everyone else do?

I am lucky I guess? I took 9 cockerels to my Uncles to be butchered and the others I traded a guy I know for pullets....Paid a bit for each pullet but not full price...I ordered 35 Chicks and had 18 cockerels to sell or give away..Free always goes the fastest...

Mine go to the freezer. It's hard to even give them away around here. And by the time they are 14 weeks old, I've already spent so much time and money feeding and raising them, that I might as well get a meal out of them. I get humanely raised meat to feed my family, and it's one less factory farmed meal. I would rather eat a bird that had a good, healthy life rather than a bird from the grocery store that lived a horrible life.

Last edited:
I eat them.....or give them to someone else who eats them.
Here they are meat by 16 weeks, put them on the grill for that delicious crispy skin.....and the grilled bones make a killer stock.

There are only so many homes and too many roosters. If you like hatching it's best to get used to butchering, or at least selling or giving them away for meat.

Back
Top Bottom