What do you feed your dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OffSpring, Sep 24, 2007.

1. OffSpring

OffSpring Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone!

I am just interested in what other people feed their dogs at meal time...

And why they choose to feed by this method for example behaviour benefits, health benefits, or for increased energy (worker dogs) etc.

Here is a quick list for an example:

Dried food
    Dried food food mixed with water
    Tinned Meat
    Fresh Meat (raw)
    Fresh Meat (cooked)
    Table Scraps

I only feed my dogs dried food mixed with water.

Occasionally they get any left over meat/table scraps but that is pretty rare in my house!

Any left over veg table scraps usually goes to the chickens...

2. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    My dogs eat only dry.......better for teeth and gums.
    Only an occasional treat......
    No table scraps.
    They eat once a day, they are healthy and happy.

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    They just get the dry and some dog treats now and then

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    After trying everything on the market.....my dogs chose The Kibbles and bits. They will eat the homestyle or the brushing bites the best. I always try to offer them new tastes, but that is the winner with them. My 2 little dogs hold out for people food until the last person goes to bed and then they will get up and eat dog food if they must. My little maltese is TOTALLY ADDICTED to coffee. She will sit and stare at you if you have one and watch the cup go to your mouth and back with a tear in her little eye as she knows it is almost gone. We give her a few spoonfulls once in a while because it means so much to her......but she is so tiny we are very careful. Just imagine a lifelong smoker if you took his ciggs away......thats how she gets.

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I feed the majority of my dogs buckeye dog food. My dh has 10 hunting dogs he uses for competitions. I have a small beagle that i feed kibbles and bits to and he dancesfor joy, like snoopy for them when i bring a bag into the house.

6. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    BARF diet 2xday. The only exception is the anatolian puppy, gets supplemented by Proplan kibble to control growth rate.

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Dry. I feed a brand called Solid Gold. [​IMG]

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nutro Natural Choice - Chicken, Rice & Oatmeal for Sensitive stomachs.

My adult lab had reoccuring bouts with vomiting as a youngster and we worked with the vet and tried everything. This is the only food he can keep down because his digestive system is very sensitive. We mix in Pedigree Choice Cuts for some added flavor and feed 3 X's a day to keep hunger under control, weight managed and avoid stomach flip (as we all know how labs like to gorge).

Our lab puppy also eats the big dog's food and dry Nutro puppy chow. The vet said we should feed her adult rations to maintain her weight, but we let her have both and feel it's better for her puppy nutritional needs.

They also get an occasional handout when we're eating because they're irresistable little faces are too cute. Milkbones and rawhides for teeth care.

[​IMG]

Jody

9. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    Nature' Recipe - can and dry mixed, treats and anything I'm having for dinner!

Lurky, my mom's dog loves coffee too!

Jody, beautiful pups!

10. Crazy4Chickens

Crazy4Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2007
    Nutro Natural Choice high energy formula. It's the only food that keeps the weight on him and he is still skinny. He can't sit still for a minute always on the go. Plus he get a egg every morning and a few table scraps that are left over.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by