What do you feed your dog?

Quote:
Quote:
WOW! That is so great that you can find it that cheap! I buy chicken for $.80-$1/pound, and I can't find anything else. I would spend up to a $1/lb on other meat if I could find it. As it is, I'm spending about $35/ week on meat. I've been on the carnivour forum for months, just waiting to find some supplier in my area... no luck yet.

Please be very cautious about feeding large dogs dry food alone. We lost our Bloodhound two weeks ago to gastric torsion. Hers was not caused by dry food, but it is a common cause. Large dogs will eat a bowlful of dry food, then drink a lot and the food will swell and bloat their stomach. Our vet recommended that large dogs should be fed at least twice a day, preferably 3 times, so that they consume smaller quantities at a time and are less likely to overeat. She also advised that dry food always be mixed with a little water so that it has already swelled up, rather than doing so inside the dog once it has overeaten. They should never be fed immediately after or immediately before exercise, give them an hour to calm down or digest their food. Our dog ate a large amount of grass, which bloated her stomach, and she twisted her gut after we got her home from the vet that night. It is a distressing way to lose a dog, and very painful. Surgery is usually unsuccessful. Please just take these few steps to try and prevent this happening to you.

Chews and bones will help keep their teeth clean, dry food has little effect on cleaning teeth.

Last edited:
Raw diet--no veggies. Based on whole raw meaty bones.

I had to go to a new vet for their yearly heartworm tests recently, and she could not get over how clean their teeth are.
big_smile.png
She just kept exclaiming, "I have NEVER seen such clean teeth on a dog before!!!"

Quote:
LOL, same here. I had a 7 year old bulldog with crusty yellow teeth and after a few months on the RMB's they were nearly white
big_smile.png

My 3y/o mutt has been on it most of her life and I think her teeth are whiter than mine, lol.

I'm another raw feeder
smile.png

I include some veggies once or twice a week though just for some variety and fruit once in a while in small amounts. They also get cottage cheese or yogurt 2 to 3 times a week and a raw egg once a week.

We have 3 Labs Minnie a 6 year old yellow Katie a 4 year old chocolate and Bella a 2 year old Black. All of our girls are hunters and all are fed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice formula. We had to switch to the Lamb and Rice when we got Katie because she has a sensitve stomach. We feed them twice a day in smaller portions this helps too.

Last edited:
After the pet food recall this spring; my doggie can only eat Ensure. Seriously. Everything else apparently is too hard on his kidneys. Poor little guy....

LO.jpg

But still smiley!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom