What do you like to do with your eggs?

I can't source oyster shell where I live so all eggshells go to the chickens the next morning uncooked. They take what they like and occaisionally I chuck eggsess in the vege patch or garden.

I make sure a few people have a dozen in their fridge, donate a few and the rest is for me, my dogs and my chickens. I love scrambled eggs and omelette so the first round I make is usually for chickens and the second has my favorite fillings and additives. My egg pasta salad always has more egg than pasta:p One of my dogs always licks her lips when I return from the coop with eggs and eats one cracked fresh on the lawn, another dog frequently sits beside her bowl (she likes a dash of milk mixed in minus the shell):rolleyes:.

I am curious what other animals do people feed their eggs to? Aside from chickens and dogs?
We used to put extra eggs in the pig's food. They love eggs.

This saddens me too.
The world needs more chicks. Box those up and send them to me. I won't let them go to waste.

I'm lazy, and end up letting them get too old, so that's why they get tossed. I keep the most recent weeks eggs aside, in case i want to incubate, sell for hatching, or give to broodies. We eat ones a week to two or three weeks old. Or I try to cook those for the chicks and ducks. But some always end up sitting till they are a couple months old. :(

How old are the oldest eggs safe to feed back to the animals??

I'm lazy, and end up letting them get too old, so that's why they get tossed. I keep the most recent weeks eggs aside, in case i want to incubate, sell for hatching, or give to broodies. We eat ones a week to two or three weeks old. Or I try to cook those for the chicks and ducks. But some always end up sitting till they are a couple months old. :(

Ha
I'm not the one to ask about that cause I don't ever have old eggs.
I have found hidden nests that are who knows how old and fed them to our pigs but then again I've also feed them non fertile, quitters etc after 21 days in the incubator.
I can't seem to throw away eggs myself.

I'll tell you when my chickens stop turning them into these:
IMG_20170716_181453.jpg

On the plus side, they're adorable. On the minus side--two hens out of a dozen? What's the matter with you guys?

I'll tell you when my chickens stop turning them into these:
View attachment 1169911
On the plus side, they're adorable. On the minus side--two hens out of a dozen? What's the matter with you guys?
Ha! :lau
Those silkies love to hatch, I have two silkie/jersey giant crosses, I'm wondering why I paid $$ for a incubator now Lol!

What do I do with our eggs? Omelets. I'm not big on kale, but love it fresh from the garden chopped up and mixed with breakfast sausage, onions, jalapenos and eggs, or just kale and eggs, lots of protein and vitamins, breakfast of champions.
I pickle a lot of eggs also, many different ways.

What was the difference in the baking with the 2 eggs? I'm curious to know! :)
I haven't done that experiment yet. The holidays are coming so I'm going to be baking. I can't wait to find out. I did make cornbread and it was so good. I just didn't do a comparison. That will be a good one for a weekend when Desiree is here. All I know is ALL my egg dishes are so much better with fresh eggs. I had a little trouble at first with hard boiled eggs, but I think I have figured out now.

I keep my eggs in the fridge, in egg containers. Tape a post-it on the top that says when I collected them. I've had store bought eggs for 2 months past the expiration date before they failed the float test. I'd say float them and if they aren't above water then they're safe for people & animals. If it were me I'd just do a smell check before feeding them to an animal, but someone else may have a more sciencey based explanation/ suggestion for you.

I found this online: "According to Foodsafety.gov, raw eggs in the shell can be kept in the refrigerator for three to five weeks. Freezing in the shell is not recommended. Instead, crack those eggs, beat them, and then store them in a freezer-safe container."

I've been trying to find recipes that use more than one or 2 eggs. I have ~6 dozen eggs in my fridge at this moment, I get 50+ eggs a week. Freezing eggs isn't doing anything but shifting the issue to a different container. I may freeze some in case they stop laying for winter, but if I did that I think I'd have them in separate baggies with 2-3 eggs each b/c I'm not about to chisel off a chunk of egg for something or thaw a whole bag of eggs.

I love so many of the ideas I'm seeing here & hoping my kids will be willing to try some. Does anyone have any fool-proof ways to hard boil a fresh egg so peels easily? I used the baking soda method w store bought eggs and it didn't work w fresh eggs. IDK if I needed more baking soda, I just usually dump a bunch in, no measuring. I've seen pressure cooker, but I don't have one. Another suggested baking in the oven, but my oven is temperamental.

Back
Top Bottom