What do you think about this?

britesidefarm

Songster
May 22, 2020
Santa Barbara, CA
I have three Pekin ducks that we have free range in a pasture with a few goats, and we recently hatched four more a few months ago. We we’re able to sell one female duckling, but couldn’t sell the other three boys we got. Anyways, I’m thinking since their a meat breed, we could take the three young ones we have and butcher them for thanksgiving or Christmas. I was also thinking we could hatch more just for meat. The problem is, we’ve never culled/butchered a duck before, and have no idea how. Would this be a good idea?

I have three Pekin ducks that we have free range in a pasture with a few goats, and we recently hatched four more a few months ago. We we’re able to sell one female duckling, but couldn’t sell the other three boys we got. Anyways, I’m thinking since their a meat breed, we could take the three young ones we have and butcher them for thanksgiving or Christmas. I was also thinking we could hatch more just for meat. The problem is, we’ve never culled/butchered a duck before, and have no idea how. Would this be a good idea?
I don't think I could ever butcher or kill anything lmao. But.... if it is a meat breed and you are happy with eating+culling it then go ahead. Swift hatchet blow or break the neck is what I've read is humane. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials on how to butcher one.

If its for thanksgiving I would say take it to a processor if you can afford it. Its a one time meal and the high price of having someone else process the meat won't add up. Plus the professional processor will do it correctly which is important for a thanksgiving meal free of stress and problems. If you want to eat your own ducks on a regular basis but do not want it to get expensive learning how to process your own birds is a must. People above have provided suggestions on how to do it correctly.

Took me a while to get the hang of it but learning to process a chicken was one of the best skills I learned in chicken keeping. It's the difference maker in feeding myself affordably.

Thanks everybody! I’m probably going to send them to a butcher nearby, since we just culled our first cockerel today and it got pretty messy. I’ve looked up videos and it seems about the same as a chicken other than the scalding process.
It takes a few tries to get good at it if you dont have someone show you how. Even then its difficult. My first rooster ran away from me and I had to chase it down as it was literally running for its life. It was a tough day 😔

Duck for Thanksgiving is a wonderful thing. :drool I've butchered several for meals.

Ask around to see if anyone is interested in teaching you or watch the utube stuff. There is an art to plucking, but skinning is easy. The skin adds fat and flavor. If you do wind up skinning, wrapping it in bacon is as good if not slightly better for roasting, smoking or pot roasting.

Remember it will be firmer than store bought everything and should be cooked slow and low to make it mouthwatering tender. It will still be tough compared to store bought, but the flavor!!!

Best wishes with whatever you decide!

Back
Top Bottom