what do you think dominuqe or br

DanEP

Crowing
12 Years
May 15, 2010
Cadiz Ky
I had to try out my eco 20 that I bought in oct soI got a few eggs from a coworker. I got lucky enough to hatch 8 out of 11 and their doing well.
Now this fellow I got my eggs from said he had a dominuque roo and one hen and the rest were rir hens. I know that I'm pretty new at this but don't dom's have a rose comb. I kinda expected at least some of these little guys to at least have the signs of the rose comb or does that develop latter? I'm just guessing but kinda suspect maybe some br mixed in there instead.I would really like to hear the thoughts of somebody thats a whole lot smarter than me on this please.
I'll try and post some pics of the chicks and would love to hear some guesses on gender.

t
57634_mutts_6_wks_011.jpg
ha
57634_mutts_6_wks_012.jpg
tt
57634_mutts_6_wks_014.jpg
p
57634_mutts_6_wks_018.jpg
hmm.png
/www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/57634_mutts_6_wks_009.jpg[/img]nks dan

Last edited:
hard to tell, he only has 1 dominique hen?
No, the rose comb will not appear later. If the RIR's hens are tha mothers, then they can inherit the single comb gene, if thats what they are, however, I do not believe they would be barred.
the last one I think is a girl. the rest are boys I am pretty sure.

Looks more like Barred Rocks than Dominique. I don't know this person, but some people will call any barred/cuckoo chicken a Dominique not really knowing the difference.
Quote:
But you could get a modified comb type. Not sure what it would look like exactly. The color combination would throw barred, red, and red with barring or barring with red (I think it might be called gold) leakage.
First one is definitely a rooster and the other three look like they might be pullets.

I agree with jeslewmazer. As a newbie myself, every older person I talked with told me stories of their youth raising "dominickers." If I asked if they had ever raised the barred rocks instead they looked puzzled. To most people the Dominique is the barred pattern, not the breed, much like many think of all Marans as "cuckoo marans" because thats what they hear all of the time. The few that can actually remember their chickens well enough to describe the comb seem to be describing the barred rock with its proud, upright single comb instead of the wider, flatter rose comb of the Dominique. Quite frankly, I didn't know the difference until just recently. I knew one was rose combed and the other single combed, but not which ones.

I am way to new at this to try my hand at guessing sex, so I will leave that to the more experienced. But from my limited experience with the genetics, I would have to say these are barred rocks. I wouldn't get too mad, old timers get to calling the the sky yellow you'll never convince them otherwise. lol

Quote:
Prior to the 1905 "Standard" there were single comb Dominiques.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Origin_of_the_Dominiques.html

The American Dominique is a Rose Comb breed...
The word, "Dominique" describes a pattern on a breed as in Dominique Leghorn, Dominique Spanish Fowl, and Dominique American Game Fowl etc.

The breed prior to 1905 "Standard" was most likely a Dominique Game Fowl. Game Fowl was then and is now commonly called a Dominique or Dom.

The bird that the OP has in question is not a American Dominique....

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
I have never heard that definition before. Do you have any information, I would be interested on the source.

Quote:
I disagree that the breed prior to the standard was only a game fowl, but that's OK, we can agree to disagree.

And here is why, IMO:

This is from an 1862 USDA Report:

"“The Dominique is the best fowl of common stock that we have, and is the only common fowl in the country that has enough distinct characteristics to entitle it to a name. These fowls are full medium in size, being but little less in weight than the Dorking, have full breasts, roundish plumb bodies, double or single combs, and yellow legs. Their main plumage has a light gray ground color, while each feather is barred crosswise with a darker shade. They are frequently known by the name of “hawk-colored fowls.” They are hardy, easily raised, retain their peculiarities with great tenacity, have yellow skins, a color preferred by many for a market fowl; and taking these fowls all in all, they are one of the best varieties for common use."

Quote:
I have never heard that definition before. Do you have any information, I would be interested on the source.

From dominiquechicken.com :

Reviewing show results in a number of magazines from the 1800s there are Dominique Leghorns, Dominique Spanish, Dominique Italians and American Dominiques listed in a number of places. With the exception of the American Dominique, the word “Dominique” always precedes a breed inferring it is a variety.

To the layperson these would all seem to be the same breed, but such is not the case. Prior to the 20th century the cuckoo pattern was referred to as “Dominique” and occasionally as “Dominic” In most cases the variety “Dominique” is interchangeable with the term “cuckoo”.

The assumption that these are different varieties is borne out by the minutes of the meeting whereby the Standard was created. An example would be the discussion which led to including the Dominique variety of Leghorn which later became known as the Barred Leghorn.

In poultry history, the name Dominic was first applied to the barred breed. All identified references to the noun in the English language point back to Saint Dominic (born around 1170).

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/The_Dominique_Name.html

From dominiquechicken.com/The_Dominique_Name :

It has been written that the Dominiques as we have them today were originated in this way: In the 1830s there was being bred on Rabbit Island, near New Orleans, La., some imported English-Spanish hens and a cock of the same. From this breeding came a stag that was different color markings from any that had ever before came from this mating. The owner took especial care of this stag, walked him well and when he was old enough took him to New Orleans and fought him.Tom O'Neal secured some of these fowl around 1886.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Dominique_Games.html

The Dominiques By Silver Gray From Game Fowl News November 1926 posted on dominiquechicken.com and also posted on Ultimatefowl :

The originals were yellow and blue Dominiques, yellow legs and beak, with the cocks generally having white tails, speckled with blue or yellow. The hens were either solid blue with dark eyes or mottled like a Plymouth Rock or pale blue or nearly white. In later years White Pyle was crossed on them and the rose comb bred off. At present they breed pure white, pale blue, mottled breast and hackle and saddle speckled. Some come pyle colors and some the regular Dominique color.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Dominique_Games.html

Now from these quote I would say that the USDA are confusing the American Dominiques with the term Dominique meaning a color pattern of a fowl.

Chris​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom