What Do YOU Think is The Mix of Breeds in These Puppies? Pics

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
The local Humane Society listed these puppies today as "Bernese Mountain Dog Mix x Shepherd". My realtor friend is the founder of the HS here and I emailed her to ask what type of Shepherd, thinking they must have known where these pups came from, being so specific about the breeds. There are 3 males and 3 females. She said:

Quote:
How does one come up with "Bernese Mountain Dog" in a guess? They are listed as growing into the Extra Large category. What do you think is in there? Here are the puppies, whose colors do vary somewhat. Maybe different fathers or they take after one parent or the other.

The boys:

The girls (almost said pullets, LOL!) I like the first and second females, personally. They do have big feet.

I'd say it's fairly rare that stray pups would be the product of two pure breds. Shepherd looks like it's in there somewhere though, it'll be a bit easier to tell when they're several months old. Regardless, there's nothin' like a mutt! :D

Lab shepherd is my guess. Black mouth cur? It always cracks me up when people want to tag mutts as something unusual. Seems much more likely that they probably had a mutt mom and a mutt dad. ;)

That second female is toooo cute! She does kind of look like a bernese mountain pup. Love the white chin and toes. New playmate for Finn?

I think I agree with the vet! Of course, you may never know for sure, or they could change as they get older, but I can certainly see why she guessed BMD and GSD!

I think I agree with the vet! Of course, you may never know for sure, or they could change as they get older, but I can certainly see why she guessed BMD and GSD!

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. A friend thought she saw maybe some Rottie in the mix, but those coats certainly say a long coated dog or two was involved and big ones, at that. Most of the dogs at the HS are hound types with smooth coats. I adore hounds, but if I got another dog, I would want a livestock guardian type, or at least that's what it would be trained to do, and it would be outside, not inside. I've always had dogs in the house, even the large ones, and never one that was chicken-friendly. Since my cat, Finn, has a heated cat condo on my wraparound porch, I figure a dog could have the same thing so it could be outside all the time, but even then, it would need a warmer coat. That warm coat is why it can't be in the house. After the fire, when everything was taken down to the studs, all dog hair was vanquished. I'd not want to go back there, especially with a long-haired dog. I've never had an outside-only dog in my life but I think with some care and concessions to its comfort, we could do that.

I'd say it's fairly rare that stray pups would be the product of two pure breds. Shepherd looks like it's in there somewhere though, it'll be a bit easier to tell when they're several months old. Regardless, there's nothin' like a mutt!
big_smile.png

True that, though to be fair, the vet did say BMD mix and some type of Shepherd so she admitted there was probably a third something in the genetics.

Though my family raised AKC Dobermans when I was a child, all the dogs we have had as a married couple have been "pound puppies". First a little short coated curly tailed 19 lb dog, Rebel, (originally Pookie Bear-no way I could keep that name) from SICSA (Society for the Improvement of the Conditions of Stray Animals) in Ohio we got as a pup who lived to be 10. Three weeks later, we adopted Cody, who looked very similar to Rebel, from Petsmart, from a litter that was obviously sired by more than one male, LOL. He was a mix of Retriever and Boxer and smart as a whip, crazy energetic, a cat-killing machine (Finn wouldn't have lived if he'd shown up back then). Cody lived to be 12. When Cody was 3, I found a beautiful Pointer-Yellow Lab cross at Petsmart adoptions who they estimated was about 8 months old, for his companion. She was as submissive as Cody was dominant. He never tolerated another dog but Kes, a perfect match. Kes lived for years after Cody passed, and she left us just before her 15th birthday.

So, I love mutts. But, Cody was short coated and Kes was smooth coated and very intolerant of cold. We can't really afford another dog, but since DH is soon getting Social Security, maybe it won't be such a financial burden if we decide a property protector is needed. But, has to be a longer coated dog this time. Never owned one of those.

Last edited:
As a breeder of BMD and GSMD's, there is no way those puppies have any BMD in them. They are cute, and I'm sure they will get adopted quicker if people think they will get a Bernese.
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom