What do you think of this bantam cochin cockerel?

I agree with Bantyman. He's fuller looking. ..now look for someone on here that has some nice blues or blacks to buy some eggs from... That's the fun part!
smile.png

I would go with the roo without the vulture hocks. Like you said, you're not going to show but do want a nice bird. Do what you can with what you have and have alot of fun with it. Cute little roos by the way. I'm glad to see someone else trying to make the best of what they have. Good choice! Be happy, have fun

Last edited:
I would go with the bird with the huge vulture hocks, because from a lot of angles you can't see them, since it is just you looking at him and not a judge, you can enjoy him from a lot more angles than the first bird, which is not very pleasing to my eye from most angles. Keep him as long as you still like him. Try to get some eggs this spring and hatch you out some killer diller beauties to cross him on and let the good times roll!

I'd go with the one with the best personality. Both roos have their good and bad points but having one you can pick up and love on goes a long way.

Okay, thanks for all the opinions and advice. I brought all the boys and 2 of the girls in tonight for a photo shoot, and after studying the pics, I think IF I keep one I'll keep the second one. He's definitely got the nicest shape, and his vulture hocks don't really show. He's been handled most, because he's the one we were originally thinking we'd keep, so he's the most friendly at this point.

I also got pics of two of my girls, and while they're far from perfect, I think they're shaped better than the boys. I like pullets' looks better than roosters' generally anyway. I originally ordered them just to set eggs for me, and not even thinking I would breed them. They will serve their purpose perfectly. They're definitely the sweetest chickens I've owned so far, as they're really calm and sociable.

It's amazing how much more you notice what your birds actual shape, etc., are when you look at pictures instead of the real birds...

These cockerel shots are the 2nd one I posted before. The others are, obviously, two of my pullets.
P1040010.jpg

P1040032.jpg

P1040047.jpg

P1040046.jpg

Back
Top Bottom