What do you think of this horse?

lil'turkeymama

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
Alabama
I own this fellow and made this picture yesterday.I just wondered what could other people see that I don't/can't.I think he looks real nice.Wish I could ride him.Thats another story.Anyway,do you think his saddle fits?Hows he standing?Is he tied right?I bought him as a gelded "quarter horse",green broke.He is eight years old.I really like him but he's so tall.I want to ride my horses again and he's the most ridable I have.I am thinking of selling him but after messing with him the past week I'm not sure I should.I want to ride but its been awhile and I don't remember alot of stuff I should.I have rode this horse about 2 years ago and while hes not spooky or crazy hes fast and made me nervous.So,would you sell a decent,sound horse just to not have to feed it,I have 50+ acres pasture and hay already,or would you keep it and try to ride again?Or look for something else altogether?
57544_img_0331.jpg

I would keep him and ride. You said you want to ride and that hes your best bet in feeling comfortable/safe. You already have the mean to support him so unless you try riding and decide against ever riding again and think hes to nice to sit in a pasture then i would sell him.b If anything sell one of the others that you have labeled not as ride-able.

I can't quite get a feel from your message if he is going to be suitable or not. Generally if a horse has gone a long time without being in a work routine they get more difficult. Some don't - they're just the same even after a long vacation. But most, it's more of a problem.

If he's too fast and you can't slow him down, I'd recommend you get an older, quieter horse, more trained and experienced horse, that you can control better, especially while getting back into riding.

I can't exactly see how he is tied up. Horses should be tied up high and short by a halter and rope (not by reins or bit/bridle) to a solid object (not gates or panels, and preferably not to something they can paw and get caught in), preferably with a quick release knot or a quick release snap, in case they get tangled up.

Last edited:
You can tell how the saddle is somewhat fitting, when you take off the saddle, after sitting in it while working the horse and look for dry areas or rub marks under the saddle pad. Dry areas are where the saddle is either not touching or bridging or it is pressing too much and creating sore areas. Often white hairs will appear there. He looks to have a high wither from the angle of the pic, make sure the underside of the saddle tree does not rubb him on the withers. should have 2-3 fingers height between horse and saddle at wither area. Horses with speed can be slowed down, it just takes time and training. I would watch or rent some horse training videos to freshen up your memory and also to help you start training. I never get on a horse until I evaluate him from the ground and do some ground work with him, keeps you both safer.

It doesn't appear the saddle fits him, but it's also positioned too far forward, it might look better if it were a few inches further back.

I'm trying to sort out the details here. You said you own him but can't ride him but rode him two years ago and he was too fast? I get the feeling despite this animal's age he has not been used much, and you haven't ridden for a while.

In this case I recommend a starter course with a professional trainer for both you and the horse. Horses have personalities and people have personalities. And we all know how certain personalities can clash. Finding a perfect horse for you may take some time.

You say this horse is fast. Is he fast like spooking all the time or just wants to get on down the road and get the job done? Fast horses with a quick mind needs a job and a rider who will keep him busy. He might be good at sorting cattle, barrel racing, endurance riding, or cross country eventing. The last two suggestions are extremely challenging and require an experienced rider atop an equine athlete.

Next, you need to evaluate your skills as a rider. Are you suitable for this horse? Are you capable of making decisions to keep this horse in the right frame of mind to be a safe ride for you? Do you want to lolly gag down the trail or zip around a maze of barrels or poles? Never hurts to have a trainer evaluate your horse and you.

Another thing you wanted to discuss is saddle fit. This saddle needs to be moved back about two inches to free up this animal's shoulder. The saddle appears to have good wither clearance and make sure your saddle pad and cinch is clean. He should not be tied by bridle, but I suspect there is a halter under the bridle and he's tied by that. Always make sure you tie the horse with an emergency knot-one that will release the horse with a tug of the free end of the rope. And NEVER EVER tie that horse to that fence panel again. Always make sure the horse is snugly tied to a solid post and never leave him tied in the sun for very long.

From what I can see, I like the look of this horse. He is ewe-necked though, and this flaw might be conformational or due to being ridden in the wrong frame. He is positioned rather crooked so I can't really see if his legs are correct or not. He appears to be gnawing at the bit-make sure his teeth are in good shape.

Getting a new horse is always exciting but remember to do the basics to keep you and your horse safe. Spend a few days or weeks doing groundwork basics, make sure all your tack is comfortable, and most of all make sure the horse is sound to be ridden. Creating a bond with a horse is rewarding. Nothing like having your mount look back at you and say, "Let's Ride".

57171_100_2094.jpg

From your post, I think your best bet would be to sell this horse and find a more suitable horse. Something smaller, quieter, a been-there-done-that. I would suggest a professional riding stable with a good reputation. Start out with lessons on horses that are in regular work to develop your seat and strength of aids as well as dexterity and reflex response. This will help you to re-aquiant yourself with horses in a safe as possible situation and they can help you find a nice horse at your skill level. If your horse has been out of work for 2 yrs I can imagine him being difficult to get going again, and with the added fact that he makes you nervous, I don't think you two would get very far and it could end up being a dangerous situation. Good luck and I hope you can get back in the saddle and enjoy yourself once again!
big_smile.png

I don't see a ewe necked horse, he's just a little shy on work and muscle.

As always, 'it depends'. If you're not in control of a horse and you put yourself in a bad situation, where you need control of the horse...yeah that can work out very badly.

I've had horses that were quite a ways 'above' me. A little longeing, a few riding lessons, not feeding quite so much rich hay and bagged feeds (without letting 'em get thin or poorly nourished), maybe sticking to riding in a paddock with the gate shut for a while, and then gradually going from a little walk back to the barn, to a little tour around the property, to a trail ride accompanied by other riders who are quiet and go at a steady slow pace, and consider what I can and can't do...or shouldn't do...LOL....

There are ways of being careful, of being cagey and making things work. And of just being patient and disciplined. Most of my friends, and myself, we don't rush things, we give it time, and are willing to practice, get riding lessons, set up the situation so that we win, not lose.

Not everyone can do that, though. Some have no patience for ring work. A good many people don't get the connection between lessons and exercises done as part of ring work, and controlling your horse out on the trail, for example. They don't want to spend time practicing changes of speed and turning in the paddock, pen or riding arena, they don't feel they need lessons.

They'll often wind up getting a very fast ride back to the barn or a nasty fall, when they decide to go out in that nice big field or down that pretty trail, before they've got the tools to do so.

Some of it's about 'program'. A half hour ride daily or 6 days a week, week in, week out, can often get the friskiest horse settled and working better - a ride once a month tends to work out - pretty bad, unless it's a very, very quiet, older horse (or a breed that generally tends to be rather quiet overall...but even then they can have a bad day, and are more likely to when not in a 'program').

On the other hand, to take a horse that has had very little training and you not having ridden for a long time, and deciding to go on a long trail ride with some advanced riders who love to go fast or by yourself and expecting to be able to handle whatever comes up...maybe not so cool.

I can't count how many times I've gone on a trail ride with someone who hadn't been working their horse regular. Invariably there'd be a big problem - the horse wouldn't be in shape and he'd be exhausted (or lame the next day), he'd get mad because he wasn't used to being worked, the rider wouldn't be able to control him, and eventually someone would be walking back to the barn rubbing the muddy seat of their pants....

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for the replies.I really do like this horse and you are right,he has never been rode alot.And the riding I did on him was in a round pen.He is not mean or spooky just not trained.25 years ago I used to buy young stud horses have them gelded and with tons of groundwork and time get them to where they were riding.Never made money at that just really enjoyed working with them.Never made any great horses just trail horses that were gentle and easy to handle.I do think if I can get back to riding him in the round pen we should do fine.I just also know I need my gear to fit right and not be hurting him.I need to take my time and not rush him.
I lost my old mare I had been riding 3 years ago.I had owned her 26 of her 31 years.I miss the bond we had.I knew her and she knew me,but I had been riding her for 24 years.I want that back.I do have some young ones,6 months,2 years and 3 years that I working with too but it will still be awhile before even the oldest is ready to hit the trails.I don't like to rush them,I won't ride one who hasn't had time to grow and reach its potenial size.
I only tied him the that panel to make his picture which took about 5 minutes and I was within a few of him the whole time.I always do everything I can to keep my horse and me safe.I've seen the mistakes other people have made and the hurt horses and people and even seen some horses die needlessly for lack of training and careless owners that didn't take the time to make sure they knew what they were doing.One of the worst was a Appy stud that could only be loaded on a trailer when he reared and was jerked down in it.They loaded him that way for years.Said it was the only way he would load.He hooked his front legs over the gate one day and got hung and broke his leg.It had to be removed to get him off the gate,then he was hauled home and put down.I always thought why didn't they just teach him to load safely?So I do know the dangers of working with these wonderful animals and I don't take chances that would hurt either of us.I can't afford professonal training,but I do have all the time in the world and a safe place to practice.Thanks again,I feel better know people will take the time to advise me when I need it.
smile.png

What type of grain is he on it mite be the amount of sugar in the grain it was that issue for my pony. If he is to fast and scares you maybe you need to find a older quieter horse more suitable for you. If he wasn't to fast for you two years ago maybe it was the lack of work. If you have a trainer ask your trainer what they think. If not i would advise to get a trainer it would help you and the horse and maybe help with the decision to sell him or not.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom