What do you think of Tractor Supply’s new chick bins?

Pics
Its warm to the touch not hot but the switch will go from 40 watt brooder to 200 watt coop heater and has feet to stand up. It was 40 bucks which is more than red lights but its keeping that space at a constant 95-100 and not 120 trying to find a way to hang the stupid light so it don't cook them. They can get under it toward the middle or stay towards the outside. Pics added. Its really nice wish I had bought it sooner for peace of mind. View attachment 2547486
I use that heat plate myself in a "Commander XXL" 27 gal tote I got from Lowes on special (30.8 x20.3 x14.5). Right after hatching, I lay it flat, using the legs to adjust it so it has a tilt - the birds can seek their own temperature to some degree, and it fills enough of the box that there's no danger of them getting so far away they can't find their way back.

Usually use a hand towel or two as well as "bumpers". As they get larger, I'll stand it upright, and reverse two of the legs so they just hook the side of the box, to keep it from falling over. Then set a perch across the uprights on the lower legs.

During the day, they have the whole of the box to wander around, eat, drink, whatever. At night, they either cuddle up next to the plate under the perch, or cuddle up on the perch.

Its good for four ducklings to about 2 weeks+. I've ten chicks in there right now, and have taken eight chicks to three weeks in the box (with frequent cleanings). Conveniently, my dog with diabetes gets his food (Hill Prescription diet) in these plastic coated bags which nicely fit the bottom of the box. Pull one out, replace with a clean dry one, wash off the old one with a brush and garden hose, takes a couple minutes. Let dry to repeat in two days.

16144520460647223666329741310745.jpg

That's not the normal perch stick, that's my wife's doing.

Its warm to the touch not hot but the switch will go from 40 watt brooder to 200 watt coop heater and has feet to stand up. It was 40 bucks
What is the name of this heat plate? Does TSC carry them? I may end up having to brood the chicks I get this spring, and I like that a LOT better than the heat lamp I had last spring. It would be worth $40 to me not to use the lamp.

Save the box for at least a few weeks... just in case something goes wrong you can bring it back. I do that with everything I buy now. Still have the 6 foot boxes from my treadmill in the livingroom ;)

I've been reading a lot of reviews on this and there seems to be many that say it doesn't last long. I may just go with the light

Last edited:
I can't speak to others experience, but that's the plate I used to. It has run non-stop except for cleaning, which I honestly do with a handheld shower wand and a washcloth, since the start of December. I've lost two bulbs in that time, and have now using a ceramic bulb instead.
Ceramic bulb like the one they use for Lizards? I ask because my son has one that he doesn't use for his Lizard but it is small.
He also has extra lamps too which is why I might just stay with the lamp and not buy anything extra

Ceramic bulb like the one they use for Lizards? I ask because my son has one that he doesn't use for his Lizard but it is small.
He also has extra lamps too which is why I might just stay with the lamp and not buy anything extra
Yes, black ceramic bulb lights you see used for lizards. Gives off no light, does not seem to radiate much heat. Use it in my grow out box in the barn where I raise my birds from about three weeks to about eight weeks. Just enough to keep the chill off of them when it drops below 30. Does NOT seem to warm a large area though, only suitable for small number of birds at a time.

Back
Top Bottom