What do your neighbors think about your chickens?

Quote:
Wow. Just how unhappy does a person have to be to dislike chickens?
t2.gif
She sounds ignorant to me, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. As much as I'd love to flatten someone's tires when they're hateful, I've usually found that it's a lot more fun to rise above. Or as I used to tell my daughter, 'show class, not a**."
big_smile.png
Wonder what they'd do if you left a half doz or so eggs on their stoop now and then?

Or maybe, next time she complains you could smile sweetly and say, "Thank you so much for your input. You're right! Chickens are disgusting, but now I'm stuck with 'em. But if I were you, I'd NEVER come near me again!"
shy2.gif

Not to make light of your predicament... Best of luck, Nicole. And as for sitting in your coop with your chickens? Well, I wrote this one evening doing just that thing:

Ode to my Ladies

Each day I come here to sit and visit.
I find your antics just exquisite.
To watch you play gives me so much pleasure.
The joy you bring me? I can’t measure.
But I do have one thing to ask:
I hope it’s not too great a task.
Before you jump up in my lap
To take your precious chicken nap,
I’d think it oooh sooo kind of you
To, um, take a second;
Lose the poo…?
4chsmu1.gif

TouchO'Lass :

Quote:
Wow. Just how unhappy does a person have to be to dislike chickens? http://www.pic4ever.com/images/t2.gif She sounds ignorant to me, and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. As much as I'd love to flatten someone's tires when they're hateful, I've usually found that it's a lot more fun to rise above. Or as I used to tell my daughter, 'show class, not a**."
big_smile.png
Wonder what they'd do if you left a half doz or so eggs on their stoop now and then?

Or maybe, next time she complains you could smile sweetly and say, "Thank you so much for your input. You're right! Chickens are disgusting, but now I'm stuck with 'em. But if I were you, I'd NEVER come near me again!" http://www.pic4ever.com/images/shy2.gif

Not to make light of your predicament... Best of luck, Nicole. And as for sitting in your coop with your chickens? Well, I wrote this one evening doing just that thing:

Ode to my Ladies

To, um, take a second;
Lose the poo…? http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4chsmu1.gif

I love the poem.
smile.png

I keep old towels on the chair just outside the coop, so whoever sits with them doesn't get pooped on.​

Bless your heart.
People would hate it at my house, I have the home of unwanted roos. I must have atleast 50 roos outside. And they crow morning, noon and night. My GP barks all night, we have new pups and they yap all morning. The turkey's gobble, the goats work hard daily to make another hole in the fence. (they have 10 acres for 11 goats) the guineas and peacocks screech and I love every second of it.
You sit all you want in your coop, and just let them think your a little strange.
clap.gif

Quote:
I saw the mountains for the very first time in Montana two years ago when my hubby raced in an ironman. I'd love to wake up and see the mountains out my window every morning!

I'd also love to have a rooster for myself, but dh says no way, he doesn't want the neighbors mad at us and we have no use for one. I'm surprised he wasn't mad that I kept bringing home chicks. I started researching breeds and had to have one of everything the farm store had to offer.

I really shouldn't care what other people think. It does bother me when someone tells me what I can own and what I can not own, especially within my legal rights.

If you are legally entitled to it, first, do not ask their opinion, and second, if they give it to you anyways, tell them exactly what the law says.

Of course you have a use for a rooster: protecting your flock and fathering chicklets!

TouchO'Lass :

Quote:
Ode to my Ladies

To, um, take a second;
Lose the poo…? http://www.pic4ever.com/images/4chsmu1.gif

SWEET

Quote:
I saw the mountains for the very first time in Montana two years ago when my hubby raced in an ironman. I'd love to wake up and see the mountains out my window every morning!

I'd also love to have a rooster for myself, but dh says no way, he doesn't want the neighbors mad at us and we have no use for one. I'm surprised he wasn't mad that I kept bringing home chicks. I started researching breeds and had to have one of everything the farm store had to offer.

I've been to many mountain ranges but one I love is the Talamancas in Costa Rica. Everyone has chickens.
No one needs an alarm clock because roosters sing at dawn and we're all gently awakened in time to brew the coffee, fix breakfast and make it to work on time.
Chickens and roosters are never a topic of conversation or consternation in Latin America. - Just a fact of a good life.

Last edited:
One of my wife's conditions* upon our getting of chickens was that I talk to the neighbors first. I think this was very helpful. Most seemed pretty excited/neutral about the whole situation. After having them a while, I was talking to a few and some were surprised since they hadn't even noticed. I live in the city and I think most of them are excited to be connected to the "country" a little. I think if you have skeptical neighbors, you could talk to them and educate them a little. A little education goes a long way. Also a peace offering of a dozen eggs could keep the peace if you have a nervous neighbor.

*another condition was no roosters, which also helped convince the neighbors.

My closest neighbors (Boyfriend's parents) love them. Pretty birds in the yard that they don't have to pay for/take care of, what's not to love?

Other than that I don't know. We don't really know any of our neighbors except 1 across the street. He's the leader of our neighborhood association or so I'm told. Hopefully he doesn't mind the rooster crowing!! I'm friendly with the neighbor to the back because whenever she comes home the dog runs out to bark at her, so I yell at him to stop and she waves and says hi
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom