What does a cochin egg look like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr. Frizzles Hen House, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    My girls started laying and I have a total of 12 eggs. Most are a good sized, oval, dull finished, buff/pink color which I'm assuming came from my buff orps.

I've also gotten three green ones from my americanas. Same size as the pinkish ones. T

he odd ball out ones are three brown, shiny/smooth finished, and slightly round ones. The're not alot smaller, so I'm not sure if they can be from my black cochin or not. I was just told they lay smaller ones and less frequently.

Are they from the cochin or another buff orp? Impatient to figure it all out:/

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Here are my banty cochin eggs.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

those are wonderful pics.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Nice eggplant! [​IMG]

5. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    How pretty!!! They look pretty tiny. Mine are smaller and rounder than the others, but I dont think as small as yours. Maybe my cochin hasn't started yet then:rolleyes:

6. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, mine are bantam.... if yours are standard size then they will be bigger.

7. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    I believe she is a standard. She was a last minute addition along with my frizzle roo. Of course he wasn't supposed to be a roo, and she was supposed to be a frizzle too. She never frizzled though.The feed store stated that they were black frizzle cochins. I didnt know any better to ask more details.

8. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Ok, I was just looking under the breed page and the frizzles are under the bantam categorie. Now I'm not sure what I have. She is quite a bit smaller than my buff orps. Her back stands probably 5-6 inches off the ground.

9. Guitartists

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Frizzles come in both standard and bantam... though bantam appears to be most popular. Sexing mistakes happen frequently and Frizzles are not guaranteed to be frizzled... it's more of a 50/50 thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by