what does it look like when they molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bedste, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Bedste

Bedste Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    some of my girls have bare backs but I thought this was from too much rooster lovin. Are they molting? They are about 15 months old give or take...

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Songster

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    During molt the feathers basically fall out. Too much rooster loving leaves many broken and tattered feathers.

3. Bedste

Bedste Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    are they naked all over or just on their backs?

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Its different for all chickens. My Cock Is molting right now. First his feet then his back and his breast and now his face and wings are. But its in small incraments. Where as some peoples chickens are completely naked and then grow in feathers. And in different degrees everywhere in between

5. Bedste

Bedste Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    my girls are only naked on their backs..... like in the saddle area... so I do not know if they are molting or if it is from the Roo

6. Bedste

Bedste Songster

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    do they stop laying too?

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they stop laying. Mine stopped a couple weeks before I noticed the feathers falling off big time. I noticed it first around their face. It was bare, then you could see the pins. Then it "spread" down the body. When they shake, you can see the feathers falling off. Mine even lost their tail feathers.

If it's only in the back area, then it may just be from too much rooster attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by