What does watery, runny poop mean?

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Somebody seems to have diarrhea. Should I be concerned? Can this indicate illness, and if so, what are the possible problems and possible remedies, please? All advice/comments welcome.

Attachments

• 20231115_094205.jpg
    20231115_094205.jpg
    879.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231115_094156.jpg
    20231115_094156.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 7
Poop is a good barometer of health, but we need some more info. That poop might mean something, or it might not.

For example, eating something that is mostly liquid (like melon) can cause that, as can drinking a lot of water. I see this in the summer with my chickens.

What do you feed your birds, including any and all treats? Have they had any medications, or been wormed recently? Could they have gotten into something edible that they shouldn't have, or have never had before?

I would keep an eye out for any more poops like that. If I didn't see any, I wouldn't worry about it.

Somebody seems to have diarrhea. Should I be concerned? Can this indicate illness, and if so, what are the possible problems and possible remedies, please? All advice/comments welcome.
The first thing is those samples don't look too bad. They are runny, but the urates are there.
The list of what can give chickens diarrhea is long.
The first thing as mentioned by Sally PB is if the dropping are always like this or is it something temporary.
High on the list of causes of diarrhea is worm count. Do you worm your chickens?
Coccidiosis is another popular candidate but often there is blood in the droppings and the hen looks obviously unwell which you haven't mentioned.
Various infections can also cause diahrea as can a number of diseases.

Is the hens crop functioning properly? Slow crop or a partial blockage can mean few solids are traveling along the intestinal tract, while water passes more easily. Check her crop in the morning while she still roosting is easiest; the crop should be empty/flat. Check again at roost time in the evening; crop should be full.

Has there been a change in diet either commercial feed or unusual treat food, especially fruits.

Poop is a good barometer of health, but we need some more info. That poop might mean something, or it might not.

For example, eating something that is mostly liquid (like melon) can cause that, as can drinking a lot of water. I see this in the summer with my chickens.

What do you feed your birds, including any and all treats? Have they had any medications, or been wormed recently? Could they have gotten into something edible that they shouldn't have, or have never had before?

I would keep an eye out for any more poops like that. If I didn't see any, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you. The only difference I know of are these: My husband watched them while I was gone for 3 days (so who knows what he and the birds got up to), I put corn out for the birds to snack on as they like, rather than just giving them a handful as a treat once a day, I ran out of mealworms 2 days ago so no daily mealworm treat, and I started feeding them all flock pellets in one of the feeders while the other feeder still has medicated grower crumbles in it. Does any of this have a bearing on the poop being runny? No behavioral changes that I have noticed. I believe the poop is from my 21 wk old chickens rather than my 2 14 wk old cream legbars.

The first thing is those samples don't look too bad. They are runny, but the urates are there.
The list of what can give chickens diarrhea is long.
The first thing as mentioned by Sally PB is if the dropping are always like this or is it something temporary.
High on the list of causes of diarrhea is worm count. Do you worm your chickens?
Coccidiosis is another popular candidate but often there is blood in the droppings and the hen looks obviously unwell which you haven't mentioned.
Various infections can also cause diahrea as can a number of diseases.

Is the hens crop functioning properly? Slow crop or a partial blockage can mean few solids are traveling along the intestinal tract, while water passes more easily. Check her crop in the morning while she still roosting is easiest; the crop should be empty/flat. Check again at roost time in the evening; crop should be full.

Has there been a change in diet either commercial feed or unusual treat food, especially fruits.
I noticed it after boeinng gone for 3 days. My husband watched them. I have put out all flock pellets in one feeder, but still have starter/grower crumbles in another.

Back
Top Bottom