1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Egg Laying Breed do you Love the Best and Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TamTurkey, Oct 24, 2012.

1. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    I am a meat poultry raiser and have decided to get 2-5 layers for eggs. They will be for my family's own consumption although I am sure I will have friends to give the excess to. I want to know from everyone here what breed you like and why. Do they lay sooner, lay better. Easy to maintain? Less noisy? If you like them because they are pretty that's a good reason too [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you are looking for eggs laying capacity, it's hard to beat the hybrids. (black sex links, gold sex links) They are crosses designed for egg laying productivity.

I personally love my Barred Rocks. Beautiful birds and great layers of jumbo sized eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. TamTurkey

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    WE GO THROUGH A DOZEN A WEEK SO NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL ON PRODUCTION. i LIVE IN A SUBDIVISION SO I CAN'T HAVE A NOISY ONE

4. TamTurkey

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    When I was a kid we had Araucana chickens. I don't remember much about them except they were pretty and laid Easter eggs. We had a lot of them so we had to get the eggs every day before they started becoming chicks (it never failed when it was my siblings week we'd always end up with at least one that it was too late! Grrrr!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by