What equipment do you use for your poultry netting?

bucketgirl

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Snohomish, WA
Back after a long hiatus. Finally got a property where I can do eggs and meat again...I am beyond elated.

I want your advice on what specific charger to buy. Here is the scenario.

It will be some time before my new property is fully fenced (need a survey and a lot of chain link). Until then, I will only have a handful of egg birds.

For now, I have ordered a fully enclosed tractor with a large run for evenings and unsupervised time. The property is wooded and surrounded by bushes and some fencing, but until I tame my birds and we fully fence, I want to confine them more.

I have also ordered electrified poultry netting so I can both give them a wider area to roam when we're home, and enclose the tractor at night. I have an electric fence that we're setting up because a neighbor dog poops in our yard from the unfenced side. So I've got the option of plugging in the netting, and I bought a solar box. This is a bigger unit from the farm supply to run poly wire and eventually to enclose goats. The property is mostly forested so I'm concerned about the solar being effective.

Here's the netting I bought:
PoultryNet® 12/48/3 Kit, (164' roll of white/black, single spike netting & 4 support posts)
Item #201940 (Qty: 1)
FiberTuff™ Post, 48" tall, 22mm dia
Item #208055 (Qty: 6)
PoultryNet Gate (4 ft x 48" tall), black/white
Item #340605 (Qty: 1)

What's a good, long lasting option for electrifying this?

Plug in: It's only an acre so this is doable, but it's also a pain to drag an extension cord around.
12V battery: I'm open to this as it's really inexpensive but I don't know the following:
1) how to recharge the batteries
2) what to buy
3) How safe this can be made for young children.
Solar: Units seem expensive, not sure if dappled sunlight will be adequate.

Thank you for your help

Back after a long hiatus. Finally got a property where I can do eggs and meat again...I am beyond elated.

It will be some time before my new property is fully fenced (need a survey and a lot of chain link). Until then, I will only have a handful of egg birds.

For now, I have ordered a fully enclosed tractor with a large run for evenings and unsupervised time. The property is wooded and surrounded by bushes and some fencing, but until I tame my birds and we fully fence, I want to confine them more.

I have also ordered electrified poultry netting so I can both give them a wider area to roam when we're home, and enclose the tractor at night. I have an electric fence that we're setting up because a neighbor dog poops in our yard from the unfenced side. So I've got the option of plugging in the netting, and I bought a solar box. This is a bigger unit from the farm supply to run poly wire and eventually to enclose goats. The property is mostly forested so I'm concerned about the solar being effective.

PoultryNet® 12/48/3 Kit, (164' roll of white/black, single spike netting & 4 support posts)

Plug in: It's only an acre so this is doable, but it's also a pain to drag an extension cord around.
12V battery: I'm open to this as it's really inexpensive but I don't know the following:
2) what to buy

Thank you for your help
I grew up with the old weed burner electric fence charger for the horses.. circa 1950's... they are not allowed to make those anymore I heard, because they were dangerous... It would knock a grown man down (ask my brother). I learned a valuable lesson with it.. listen to your parents.. especially when they say not to touch it.. The new ones are safer and your kids will learn to listen.
I presently have the solar .. dappled sunlight is not adequate

The battery one you have to have a battery charger to take out there , and cord from an outlet to power it, to recharge the battery every month or so

Last edited:

2) what to buy

Thank you for your help

Go to Amazon add solar charger it will show you what else at bottom do you want to add these to your order... Hardware cloth not chicken wire alright need to teach the kids OUCH :tongue:eek:Good question great answers already just keep asking

Back
Top Bottom