Feb 16, 2017
TN/Western KY Border
DEFINITION:

flock1
fläk/
noun
noun: flock; plural noun: flocks
  1. 1.
    a number of birds of one kind feeding, resting, or traveling together.
    "a flock of gulls"
    synonyms: flight, congregation, covey, clutch
    "a flock of birds"
    • a number of domestic animals, especially sheep, goats, or geese, that are kept together.
      "a flock of sheep"

OK, so that's the BASIC definition... but how many is * a number of birds...* what number?!?!?

Let me use my farm as an example. I have 1 flock, with 5 sub flocks. I have the FlufferButters of 8 ( my first chickens), The Littles of 5 (our 2nd addition), the Nuggets of 7 (our first hatched under a broody), the Brat Pack of 7 (rescues that started out with 8 but one escaped and hasn't been seen from since), and the Peeps of 5 (our first incubator hatch).

I've seen people talk about their *Flock of 2 birds* and their *Flock of 150* birds. Is there any general rule of thumb on what a common flock number is?

I'd argue that 2 isn't a flock--it's a pair, especially if it's a male and female. Pair is more definitively descriptive so why not use it. But 3 or more--that's a flock.

But is a flock a flock if it, in fact, doesn't actually flock? When I had 4 bantams housed with my 6 standard breeds, they were geographically together but perched in separate groups, roamed the yard in separate groups, preened and fed in separate groups. They were two flocks that, had they had a choice, would have probably not intermingled much at all but for the fact they were penned together. Now that I lost 2 of the bantams the others are now finally "flocking" with the big girls.

DEFINITION:

flock1
fläk/
noun
noun: flock; plural noun: flocks
  1. 1.
    a number of birds of one kind feeding, resting, or traveling together.
    "a flock of gulls"
    synonyms: flight, congregation, covey, clutch
    "a flock of birds"
    • a number of domestic animals, especially sheep, goats, or geese, that are kept together.
      "a flock of sheep"

OK, so that's the BASIC definition... but how many is * a number of birds...* what number?!?!?

Let me use my farm as an example. I have 1 flock, with 5 sub flocks. I have the FlufferButters of 8 ( my first chickens), The Littles of 5 (our 2nd addition), the Nuggets of 7 (our first hatched under a broody), the Brat Pack of 7 (rescues that started out with 8 but one escaped and hasn't been seen from since), and the Peeps of 5 (our first incubator hatch).

I've seen people talk about their *Flock of 2 birds* and their *Flock of 150* birds. Is there any general rule of thumb on what a common flock number is?

I love you Smuv! But you got too much flocking time on your hands!:lau

So--if my chicken math is correct--you now have 32 chickens?

Love ya crazy lady!

Back
Top Bottom