What exactly was he?

Quote:
I like the way you phrased that
thumbsup.gif

So many people get on their high horse over the EE/Ameraucana subject. As if mixing the colors turns the chicken into a different breed.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

So many people get on their high horse over the EE/Ameraucana subject. As if mixing the colors turns the chicken into a different breed.

I ment it more like he could be a EE or a Ameraucana, not that Easter Eggers are non-standard bred Ameraucanas.

Easter eggers are mixs & not Ameraucanas in another color.

There are many brown red Easter Eggers & they even breed true to color, but they are not Ameraucanas, Blue eggs & all.

It's like saying a Manchester Terrier & Minature Pinschers are the same breed b/c they look a lot alike, but they are not & someone who knows either of the breeds can tell.

Easter Eggers could become a breed, if a small group of breeders set the standard & type, but their is still mixs of other breeds to this day beeing added to the EE line. I had some EE from a hatchery once & the Hen laid blue eggs, but her chicks from one clutch grew up to lay blue, green & even light brown eggs, we even had some EE that laid olive & pinkish color eggs. So as of yet EE's are not a breed.

Ameraucanas on the other hand even if you breed a brown red to a blue, you are still always going to get the same type. A blue egged, fluffy faced chicken everytime.

EE's also can be clean faced & still lay blue eggs ect. so most def. not a breed but a fancy mix.

He is gorgeous! Looks like he has some blue in his tail almost like a blue wheaten. If I had to call it a color I would say Blue-Red or Splash Red

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I ment it more like he could be a EE or a Ameraucana, not that Easter Eggers are non-standard bred Ameraucanas.

There are many brown red Easter Eggers & they even breed true to color, but they are not Ameraucanas, Blue eggs & all.

It's like saying a Manchester Terrier & Minature Pinschers are the same breed b/c they look a lot alike, but they are not & someone who knows either of the breeds can tell.

Easter Eggers could become a breed, if a small group of breeders set the standard & type, but their is still mixs of other breeds to this day beeing added to the EE line. I had some EE from a hatchery once & the Hen laid blue eggs, but her chicks from one clutch grew up to lay blue, green & even light brown eggs, we even had some EE that laid olive & pinkish color eggs. So as of yet EE's are not a breed.

Ameraucanas on the other hand even if you breed a brown red to a blue, you are still always going to get the same type. A blue egged, fluffy faced chicken everytime.

EE's also can be clean faced & still lay blue eggs ect. so most def. not a breed but a fancy mix.

I took it the way you meant it, I raise, to APA standards, bantam Ameraucanas. Should I decide to let them all breed willy-nilly (that's the first time I've used that word
big_smile.png
) the colors may not be to APA standards, but they will still be bantam Ameraucanas. It would not make the chicks EEs as I have seen in too many posts.

That's what I am referring to. I thought you were tactifully pointing out that if the OP's bird was an Ameraucana that it was not bred to standard colors.

I guess it's a pet peeve of mine that people are so quick to throw out that EE label.

Quote:

I took it the way you meant it, I raise, to APA standards, bantam Ameraucanas. Should I decide to let them all breed willy-nilly (that's the first time I've used that word
big_smile.png
) the colors may not be to APA standards, but they will still be bantam Ameraucanas. It would not make the chicks EEs as I have seen in too many posts.

That's what I am referring to. I thought you were tactifully pointing out that if the OP's bird was an Ameraucana that it was not bred to standard colors.

I guess it's a pet peeve of mine that people are so quick to throw out that EE label.

I am sorry for that.

Yeah, I agree with you...Ameraucana x Ameraucana = Ameraucana no matter the color, just might not be showable.

Ameraucanas are Not Easter Eggers or Easter Eggers Ameraucanas, No matter the color.
Aslong as you stay with in the breed it's still the same breed.

Thanks everyone. So if I were to attempt to find another rooster of similar color and same type what should I be looking for? I am in NH does anyone know someone who may breed them?

if you feel like a road trip ive got 6 or seven roos that are about to get finished out or sold.... but im pretty sure south GA is a bit much of a drive

Since He was an Easter Egger, it will be hard, I would try to find a mixed color Ameraucana.

Many breeders mix their flocks in the winter for warmth or some people just keep nice looking colored egg layers, either one of these cases can get you half way to finding one that looks like him.

But since he's not a standard color the best thing to do is just put the word out there.
Something like adding a pic & comment in your signature line or asking people that have lighter colored EE's where they got them.

In truth someone may have to breed for that color for you, It's not comon in EE's.
But on the up side you are looking for a rooster so that's always a plus but the likelihood of you finding one that dose not need to be shipped is low.

Back
Top Bottom