What food is best for laying

Out of curiosity it's summer going into fall and my chickens are about 8/9 months and still haven't layed. Is there some type of feed I could give them?

Out of curiosity it's summer going into fall and my chickens are about 8/9 months and still haven't layed. Is there some type of feed I could give them?
I feed mine starter/grower until I get my first egg then switch them over to layer. Right now all of my birds are getting high protein feed because they are molting and I have a show coming up at the end of the month so I want them to be in peak condition.

What breed are they?

I have Sumatras and Phoenix, which are DEFINITELY seasonal layers. Some other breeds are as well. They will lay occasionally during late winter, quite a bit in spring and summer, but stop completely when they get to fall and through most of winter. Even one of my easter eggers will stop laying during the coldest part of winter.

If your chickens are one of these seasonal laying types, then that may be why they aren't laying yet. If so, just wait until spring and see what you get then.

Flock Raiser with oyster shells on the side. Their plumage is better, poop smells better, and there is less of it when compared to 'laying' blends. Perhaps the higher protein helps. I dont know....

If you want the hens to start laying place wooden fake eggs in the nest boxes. It worked for us. Also I am in need of a good food also I jave the laying pellets and some scratch and oyster shells for treats. Lots of greens too. These girls are spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom