what GENDER is my chicken?

i have no idea what that means ._.LOL sorry uh if its a girl will it lay eggs? if its a male when can i expect it to start crowing?

~ cockerel is any male chicken under a year
~ pullet is any female chicken under a year
~ POL if you ever see this or told this it means point of lay
~ saddle feathers (which may come up) are the long slender feathers at the base of the tail only cockerels/roosters will have these and will come in at about 15 weeks
~ hackle feathers refer to the feathers on the neck. on a pullet/hen these will be rounded on a cockerel/rooster they will be slender and pointed like the hackles.

anything else comes up don't hesitate to ask even if it seems stupid (as some do feel at times) there is NEVER a stupid question
smile.png

A pullet is a female chicken under a year of age. A cockerel is a male chicken under a year of age. So the previous poster was saying that your chicken is definitely a boy and a cochin.

i have no idea what that means ._.LOL sorry uh if its a girl will it lay eggs? if its a male when can i expect it to start crowing?

Chicken terms:

A cockerel is a male chicken under 1 year.
A pullet is a female chicken under 1 year.

So it's a boy, like hdowden said, and you can expect him to start crowing anywhere from 6 weeks onward. Good luck!

well actually, a pullet is an adult female hen who hasn't molted her full grown feathers. usually on their second year in fall. fill in the rest with the cockerel, its basically the same. no, it is the same exept for the fact of their gender.

Last edited:
According to Storeys Illustrated Guide to Poutry Breeds by Carol Ekarius (2007) a pullet is a female chicken under one year of age

According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary: : a young hen; specifically: a hen of the domestic chicken less than a year old.

and heres byc def.

Pullet. A female chicken under 1 year old.

and heres the link to this sites vocab...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...of-common-terms-for-raising-backyard-chickens

Last edited:
well okay. i heard that before their first molt they're pullets and cockerels. btw, how can u tell if a rooster is fertile. mine is mating, but i "milked" him to get one of my hens fertile eggs of her own, and maybe i milked him wrong, but nothing came out. was i milking him right do u think or is he infertile?

Back
Top Bottom