What happened? *pictures*

butterfliesdoku

Songster
Mar 11, 2015
I usually check my girls at night because it's easier to check up on everyone one on one while they are relaxed and one of my hens named Rosewood, appeared to be trying to push something out. I ran inside to grab a napkin to help her and it came out without resistance. It was filled with a clear semi-cloudy liquid that reminded me of egg whites but it quickly emptied once pulled out. What could it have been? Will Rosewood be alright? Is there anything I need to do? She stopped pushing once it came out.

It looks like she was laying a soft-shell egg.

In the morning, if you can, give her a clean up - dry her well if it's cold where you are. It looks like all the "shell" most likely came out which is a good thing.
Give her some extra calcium and if you have it some poultry vitamins. Make sure she is drinking well.

I had a hen do this last week. It was really cold the night she did this, so I left her on the roost til the next day (I couldn't bring her inside at the moment). First thing in the morning I gave her some Poultry Nutri-Drench (1cc per 3lbs.) and a crushed Tums (for quick calcium). When I put her in the run, she expelled more "shell". (Later in the day I washed her up when it was warm and I could take care of her better). Calcium can help with contractions (expelling eggs). She laid a couple of nice eggs then had another soft shell egg. Then back to normal. She has remained active this whole time. This eventually may lead to Peritonitis or Salpingitis if any egg matter has traveled back up the oviduct- time will tell.

That said, keep an eye on your girl. If she becomes lethargic, hunched up or seems ill, then you will want to separate her and give supportive care. Soak her in a warm epsom salts bath, give vitamins and extra calcium.

I hope this is just a glitch for her and she if fine.

Keep us posted.

https://hencam.com/henblog/2015/08/a-laying-glitch/

Back
Top Bottom