What Happened To My Chick

barngem

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Northern Michigan
Went to the barn to let chicks out of small cage and loose in large cage, All is well, I return an hour later to bring them in for the night and one chick has these red bloody spots on each side of her face.
Maybe she got her neck caught in something, the only thing I can think is the feeder with the little holes the holes are smaller in the metal feeder than the plastic one.
Here are some pics kinda blurry but you can get the idea
The white on her is her baby feathers that she has not molted out yet. She is a black sumatra and she was in with 3 others the same age. The others are 2 hens and a roo (supposed to be anyway)
They are 2 months old. Is there something wrong with her or was she picked at.
What should I do? Should I clean them? Should I put something on them?
34773_chick_face_001_medium.jpg

34773_chick_face_medium.jpg

Check your other post on the same subject, same pictures! I posted there... you might want to look at it..

Do you like the breed? I heard they aren't supposed to be the sweetest chickens..

They seem to be sweet little chicks. They are really used to being handled and picked up. So far they seem the same as my other chickens. I have a bantam brama hen and a bantam rooster, Old English. I think they are friendly and smart, they remembered my other half and he left to go on a fishing trip when they were 1 month he was gone for 2 weeks and they recognized him right away. I thought that was pretty good.

If you can and know how, repost this in the emergency/diseases and injuries and i bet you will get some quick responses. I dont know how to repost or i would for you if i could. I bet you do need to put something (non burning) to her wounds and keep her from the others for a few days. Change out the feeders if you think thats what happened...good luck and i hope you get some replies soon.

Anyone use bag balm on chickens. It seems to be a cure all for every other critter I have?

I dont know how to repost, I did post in that other section but I cant delete or move this post so I guess I will leave them up.

Last edited:
Several people have reported problems with some of the metal feeders. Evidently some of them have quite sharp edges just inside the feed holes, causing cuts and even broken beaks.

Bag balm is fine. Neosporin or its generic is fine. There are several other ointments that are also fine.

Quote:
Do not use the pain killing neosporin it harms the chicken.
I used blu-kote on my injured buff orp. I used bag balm on her after she healed to stop the other chickens from pecking at her. the blu-kote wasn't enough.

Quote:
Do not use the pain killing neosporin it harms the chicken.
I used blu-kote on my injured buff orp. I used bag balm on her after she healed to stop the other chickens from pecking at her. the blu-kote wasn't enough.

What happens to the chicken if you use the pain killing neosporin?

Back
Top Bottom