What has made my hen lose her equilibrium?

Jksmith

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
I have a 6 month old Silver Laced Cochin hen that I found a week ago in the run unable to walk without falling over and losing her balance. I isolated her immediately, and started tetracycline w/electrolytes in her water because a few months ago another hen of mine became ill with a bacterial infection and this regimen turned her right around. At first, I thought this Cochin had the same thing but it’s obvious now that this is something different. It has been 7 days since I have been treating her and her balance has improved only slightly. However, she is alert, has a good appetite, is drinking, and gets around by walking low and taking small steps. If she stands up completely and tries to walk normally, she falls over, to one side or the other, within 2 or 3 steps. I have carefully examined her body for injuries and have found none. Her feet are in great shape with no signs of bumblefoot or anything else of concern. Her poop is normal as well.
Any idea what may be going on? Have any of you seen these particular symptoms before? Any info you might have will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

If the antibiotic doesn't work, I would have to think it's something neuro or maybe Marek's. Eating and drinking is a good sign. Only time will tell.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that but anything is possible I guess. I'll worm her and see if that helps.

Thanks

Hi. What was the outcome of this hen’s issue? My girl isn’t wobbly when walking (she is if jumping) but she seems disoriented. She didn’t come running out of the coop when I opened the door. Her food bowl was full. When I put it under her nose, she ate it. And drank. Poop is normal. When I hand fed her a snack, she kept missing the food and accidentally pecking me. So appetite is good but she seems “off” or disoriented. She is only a few years old. She layed an egg and Was fine last night.
Any advice / suggestions?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom