What have you repurposed while building ?

Pics
D0EC077B-AB4D-408D-80BF-91B4C03C288F.jpeg
View attachment 1473376 View attachment 1473377 View attachment 1473378 View attachment 1473380 View attachment 1473381 View attachment 1473383 I used old wood post from a fence I took down for the “day roost” in the run.

Used feed sacks for coop decor, and an old freezer for a varmit proof feed storage

And some plastic coated wire panels that I think might be kennel bottoms or something, not sure what there were, but inherited them, so used them under the roosts for poop collection

Also used quite a bit of old metal for interior coop walls, just had to bang out some kinks and sharp edges around holes
I’m glad to see someone else just has fun with it by putting decor up in the coop my husband was rolling his eyes while I was cutting up and re-sewing some old Table clothsfor curtains and while I was painting this picture to go inside . Not quite done with it yet
I also love your idea of a feed storage area. Guaranteed the chickens will never get into that

Hubby doesn't like to take me to the dump with him. He gets rid of the trash, and I bring home new... um... treasures. I need a barn to keep my treasure stash in. He gives me the stink eye when I start tossing stuff in the truck. But, he will also admire it when I find a particularly nice stash. Last dump haul: 1 x 3 x 12' strapping, never used, 8 pieces. I've also brought home a stack of new finished lumber varying from 1 x 4 - 1 x 10 each piece almost 4' long, good quality pine, almost knot free. The door and windows) in my coop (you can see the coop in my interview listed in my signature came from the town dump. I have enough storm windows and patio door storm panels to make a nice start on a stick built green house. Old metal swing sets make wonderful trellises in the garden. We put one in the chicken run to support the truss system to their sun room.

:goodpost: We’ve seen your location on your profile. Too bad you’re all the way in Texas sounds like a good scavenging spot. LOL. I’ve been eyeing my old grill great but decided to use one of the sides of my half broke kennel for the window. Still got the grill grate stored I’m sure it’ll come in handy for something.
You’re right there are some master scavengers in this thread. I love it!
Hey, who's in Texas with stockpiles of junk!?! Oh, was that my outside voice? :oops:

After spending way more money than I wanted to spend to buy a 6'L x 20" W piece of closet maid shelving to complete a broody pen, I had an "A-Ha!" moment. Refrigerator shelving. Sure enough, the next time we went to the dump, we found a freezer that was being discarded. It had nice white, rubber coated shelves. I brought those home and they will be a perfect start to the next broody pen I want to build. They have extensions on each end which would also work nicely (as hinges) to turn each shelf into a "door" for a chick brooder, or other similar enclosure. An added bonus was 2 freezer baskets that were in "like new" condition. After sterilizing them, I'll find a good use for them.

I thought this would be an interesting thread for everybody could share what they have repurposed While building a coop and run or just anything for their chickens. Great way to gather and share ideas for less waste in the world, way to save money and a way to get the imagination flowing. I am huge on re-purposing anything. I’ll see something just sitting on the side of the road or at a job site in my imagination goes wild. I’m bringing home stuff all the time. I’ve been called a scavenger once or twice:oops:.
So share what you have reused or re-purposed. Added pictures are great but if you’re anything like me you have a hard time loading them
What a great thread!

IMG_2528.jpg

I found an old rusted out wire spoke hubcap and used the wire part over the top of my nipple water bucket to prevent the birds from falling in when they inevitably jumped up on it. I just rustolium-ed it to keep the rust from flaking off into the water.

This allows me to fill it from the outside of the run by just sticking the hose through the wire.
Looking at this picture I just realized how much I need to raise that bucket... :oops: those birds have grown!

Back
Top Bottom