What have you repurposed while building ?

Pics
I used a metal frame shipping crate that quads come in for the pen . All i did was flip it over so that the metal bars wouldnt hurt my chickens legs. Wrapped it in chicken wire; the actual coop was given to us. Ill have to get better pics

Attachments

• 20180812_153744.jpg
    20180812_153744.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 28
My husband cut down some cedar trees so we used them for the post. Also we used old tin for the roof of the run and coop. He drilled holes in pennies when he ran out of store bought washers. The copper pennies look good. Used old screen doors, an extra window left over. An old painted window an artist friend had given me. Looks great in the coop.

View attachment 1514928 View attachment 1514929 View attachment 1514930
Not my idea but I'm thinking of repurposing a Rubbermaid horizontal shed into a coop for a couple of backyard chickens. And using a dog kennel for the chicken run. I'm thinking the plastic would keep them dry and probably keep them warmer in cold winters with the double wall plastic. Would plastic be warmer than wood for cold winters?

No wood is warmer by far because it’s a solid material ... how about stacking bales around the west side? Some insulation would really help ...great idea though that looks really ingenious:)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
No wood is warmer by far because it’s a solid material ... how about stacking bales around the west side? Some insulation would really help ...great idea though that looks really ingenious:)
You believe Wood has more insulation properties...
I was thinking to mimic the iglu chicken coop (see pic) using this bin idea to save money. Ppl are using this coop here in our climat, they say it has the best insulation properties. They claim chicken lay all winter and the eggs are never frozen.
My husband is a cabinet maker so I could have the nicest wood coop, that would not be a problem. I'm just not convinced wood is the best...

View attachment 1524592 View attachment 1524593 View attachment 1524594

You believe Wood has more insulation properties...
I was thinking to mimic the iglu chicken coop (see pic) using this bin idea to save money. Ppl are using this coop here in our climat, they say it has the best insulation properties. They claim chicken lay all winter and the eggs are never frozen.
My husband is a cabinet maker so I could have the nicest wood coop, that would not be a problem. I'm just not convinced wood is the best...

:...
Warm in Winter
The Eglu is specially designed to keep your chickens warm in winter. The Eglu has a unique twin-wall insulation system which works in a similar way to double glazing trapping a pocket of air which provides a very effective means of insulating the house.

My first coop was 100% recycled items found on my father in laws property. It did the job four three hens.
Now I’ve got a massive walk in for six hens. He reused an old metal tin roof he found- the nest box was an old head board, the door was found on my MIL property, the paint was left over from when our house was painted. And the windows were from my MILs property- she had her windows replaced.

Attachments

• F9FB2085-B57F-41F5-8494-F1791A5D9DB4.jpeg
    F9FB2085-B57F-41F5-8494-F1791A5D9DB4.jpeg
    835.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 782F5B15-42A7-435E-94C7-EA9C19AF5C24.png
    782F5B15-42A7-435E-94C7-EA9C19AF5C24.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
I repurposed 2 old baby bathtubs into a dust bath container and one on reserve for hot weather for wading with frozen treats and minnows. They are the nice ones with drain plugs. Got them for a buck each!

Back
Top Bottom