what hunting dog breed do you perfer and why ?

I like the Treeing Walker hound. We found them to be an athletic dog with a willing attitude. Had very few congenital problems and aged very well. Our neutered males were working hard at 12 but when they started showing their age they aged quickly. Rarely had one live past 15. They are a family oriented dog, ours were exceptional with kids and the ones who did not have enough drive for a hunt adapted well as house pet. They are vocal and may disturb neighbors who don't like the baying of a hound dog.

Quote:
Yep labs are best
smile.png

I prefer labs even though I don't hunt,if I ever decide to start hunting they would definatly be my breed of choice.
My reasons are
1.They will retrive and bring to you by instinct,I didn't have to train any of the labs I've had to bring balls back.
2.If an animal like a bird goes into the water they won't hesitate to dive right in and get it----even in the middle of winter
roll.png

3.Best of all they are loving and if you love them 100% they will love you back 200%
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
can we see some pics of the den terriers ? like to see pics of them working
Quote:
roll.png

While there are hunters todays who utilize the breed as a catch dog, they WERE NOT originally created for this task.

I'm fostering a GSP right now and I'm quickly becoming a fan, one of the smartest & most diligent dogs I've ever seen. He's only a year old, was never in the woods but a hunter who shot & wounded a deer asked if he could search my woods for him. I offered to come out & help and thought why not bring the "new kid" and see how he does. This pup picked up the trail in under 5 minutes and followed it for half a mile and wanted to continue but we figured out the deer had crossed into another hunting camps property.

I've got a friend who has his own line of den terriers, hard core vermin exterminators! Don't let 'em loose in your house if ya got mice, they will go right through the sheet rock, siding etc to get their prize!

i<3chickens :

Quote:
Yep labs are best
smile.png

I prefer labs even though I don't hunt,if I ever decide to start hunting they would definatly be my breed of choice.
My reasons are
1.They will retrive and bring to you by instinct,I didn't have to train any of the labs I've had to bring balls back.
2.If an animal like a bird goes into the water they won't hesitate to dive right in and get it----even in the middle of winter
roll.png

3.Best of all they are loving and if you love them 100% they will love you back 200%
thumbsup.gif

Most of the labs that are around today wouldn't hunt if they were turned loose with nothing to eat. If they actually did go after a bird they'd either eat it or run away and hide it. Sorry but unless you were to find someone breeding them for hunting, most that are out there wouldn't be worth a darn in the field. Don't get me wrong, they're great dogs it is just that the hunting aspect of the breed has been lost in breeding them for house pets. It's too bad too, because they used to be a great upland/duck dog.

I prefer Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dogs as they are very universal for hunting, working, catching, or herding. I've got mine trained so well, that if I walk out the back door with my shotgun in hand, they stort looking for squirrels to tree, or if I have a rifle in hand they start looking for a deer to chase, and last but not least if I come out with a fishing pole they start digging for worms.
lol.png
tongue2.gif

catdaddy

Quote:
My WPG is the same way when you get the guns out. When we shoot skeet, we have to put her in the basement, or she goes crazy, wanting to look for whatever it is you shot. she doesn't dig for worms though.
tongue.png

I just recently found out about the catahoulas. they sound like and extremely intersting breed and very unusual looking--in a good way.

Back
Top Bottom